F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

computer issues, maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 12:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default computer issues, maybe?

I'm new to the forum this week. I just bought an 02 F4i for my wife a couple of days ago from a private party seller. I have had one hell of a time finding a clean bike so I jumped on this one because it had never been down and I talked him into my price range. When I was about to drive it away I looked down to see how much gas was in it and couln't find the guage so I asked him. He told me where it was supposed to be located on the digital displayand said it would flash the little digital bars. He also said that it had been reset. Since The bike was new to me I didn't understand very well and decided to deal with it later. So I started the 60+ mile treck to my house. About half way the fuel guage started blinking at fullso I thought it was working fine or something.It atleast showed some sort of life.I made it home fine but the next day I started it, let it warm, and when I started to drive it wouldn't rev past 2000 rpm and then stalled out. As it turns outit was out of gas with the fuel guage blinking at full. So now I'm guessing something is wrong with the computer. Everything else seems to work fine though. The only thing I can think that would have caused this is the power comander that was installed for the Two Brothers slip on. Any suggestions. Man, this sure does make me appriciate my analog guages on my FZ1. Any advice? Sorry for the long post.

Old 06-01-2007, 12:07 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: computer issues, maybe?

LOL! Sorry to laugh but this is hilarious! The "full" digital reading is actually the reserve display! When you thought it read that it was full, it was actually letting you know that the reserve is being consumed and you need fuel, qiuckly. lol[sm=smiley2.gif] Have a great day! By the way, I boubt there are any other issues here like the PCIII or the exhaust.

Old 06-01-2007, 12:15 AM

oh man that is funny sorry but thats great. i hope you guys the best of luck with the bike and dont feel bad we all make mistakes like that some with the kickstand being down and not starting others with not turning on the ignition switch

Old 06-01-2007, 12:30 AM

Glad I'm good for something. So there isn't a fuel guage, just a reserve warning?

Old 06-01-2007, 12:33 AM
Retired Administrator

You guys need any salt to rub into his wounds.... [:@]

They're right, I ride with an F4i and always wonder why they set it up that way.

Old 06-01-2007, 12:44 AM

ORIGINAL: numatk_07

Glad I'm good for something. So there isn't a fuel guage, just a reserve warning?
Correct. No fuel gauge, just a gauge that pops up once you're down to only your reserve.

Old 06-01-2007, 01:06 AM

Surprizingly, after making an idiot out of myself, I feel better. Thanks for the help. I guess I could have read the ownwers manual.

Old 06-01-2007, 05:10 AM

Fyi, once your reserve displays, you have about one gallon of fuel left. So depending on how you drive, how high of rpms you run and how fast you go, you can get prob around 35 miles left for your reserve.

Old 06-01-2007, 11:09 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: doncollins

You guys need any salt to rub into his wounds.... [:@]

They're right, I ride with an F4i and always wonder why they set it up that way.
They say to clear clutter and distractions from the dash display.

Old 06-01-2007, 04:07 PM

Don't worry same thing happened to me...Fuel indicator didn't work and I thought the fuel level sender was busted, was about to replace it until I searched on here and found out there wasn't a "normal" fuel gauge.

Thanks Honda- great thinking!!
Unless you read the owners manual- which wasn't given to me- or the previous seller explaining things nobody in their right mind would figure it out.

Quick Reply: computer issues, maybe?