F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Completed shorty exhaust, now leaking oil

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 02:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Completed shorty exhaust, but found an oil leak

So today I completed my conversion from my standard Jardine RT1 to a shorty exhaust following the instructions outlined in the "Cutting your exhaust DIY" sticky and after I fired the bike up, I noticed that oil is leaking right below where the oil filter screws into (oil filter is tight and I tightened it more to make sure--still leaking afterward).

I will take pictures to show as soon as my digital camera charges.

I haven't leaked oil before; crush washer is good, and I changed my oil about 3 months ago (oil is still good and clean).

Could cutting my exhaust change the pressure and force oil to leak or do I have another problem?

Also, what I noticed is that when I rev the engine, the oil leak stops. In gear, the oil leak stop. However, if I turn the bike off and on again, the oil leaks again at the same place.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Last edited by supersnake83; 07-10-2011 at 09:44 AM.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i know that having a shorty, DIY or prefab is not going to force an oil leak. did you put oil around the filter gasket before install? it also made be a hairline fracture in the metal

Old 07-09-2011, 02:50 PM

Okay, here are some pictures (good thing for backup batteries):

Oil leak location:

Name:  oilleakspot.jpg
Views: 858
Size:  49.5 KB

Name:  oilleakspotdirectlocation.jpg
Views: 826
Size:  45.7 KB

Old 07-09-2011, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by backyardmechanic
i know that having a shorty, DIY or prefab is not going to force an oil leak. did you put oil around the filter gasket before install? it also made be a hairline fracture in the metal
Yes, I put a little bit of new oil around the filter gasket before installing.

Funny, I rode the bike last week and three weeks ago for about 100 miles and didn't have any problems. I will try to take off the other fairing to see where exactly the oil is leaking from.

The funny thing is, the bike only leaks oil when running.

Old 07-09-2011, 03:12 PM

I think I found the source of the leak. The leak is coming from the oil filter. It looks as if the filter is losing oil because of a thin gasket. I hand tightened the filter a little more (without using my gorilla strength), but oil still leaks at a drop per second.

I am using a Purlator Pure One PL14612. I have used them before and haven't had a problem.

New question, If I unscrew the filter to replace it, will I lose a lot of oil (meaning should I just change my oil now?).

Also, has anyone had a problem using the Purolator PL14612? I thought they were one of the best filters to buy.

Thanks.

Old 07-09-2011, 03:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

By chance do you know if the old rubber seal came off the filter before this one? If you have two rubber seals on there that would do it.

Old 07-09-2011, 03:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also you will loose just a little bit of oil if you take the filter off. Depends on how long you wait till you take the filter off after its been running. Allowing it time to drain back. I use a bosch filter never had a issue

Old 07-09-2011, 03:54 PM

I just took a look at the old filter (habit of taking a long time to throw away oil products) and the rubber gasket was still on it. I will go pickup a new filter now. I will try a bosch.

The correct bosch is a 3300 (for 2.5" and 3323 for 3.5" correct?).

Also, thanks for letting me know about the oil loss. The bike has been sitting for about an hour now, because I was decreasing and lubing my chain. If the loss is very little, I will wait to change my oil for about another 2 weeks. I have to also replace my FPR and will change the oil when I change my FPR.

Thanks for the help.

Old 07-09-2011, 05:28 PM

I changed the oil filter and the same thing happened -- drips of oil leaking about 1 per second. Then, I took off the new bosch filter and used a brillow pad to scrape off the black residue remnants that was left from previous filters (very very little). Then I installed the filter again and the leak stopped.

Either that was the issue, or the oil leak is caused because the little thing that the oil filter backs into is slight dented in a little. Very unnoticeable unless your face is right there. I am not sure how that happened, but I would like to replace it if possible or un-dent it if possible. The picture above shows the part I am talking about.

Also, the purolator filter's gasket was pretty much flat. I'm not sure if that was just with that filter or what, but that is a first. I like purolator because of the rough hosing makes it easier to remove the filter.

Thanks for everyone's help, but if you know the name of the part I am talking about, do you know what is involved with changing it?

Thanks again.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your oil is not that old, as long as you put it in a clean container you can use it again. Had a few Issues a while back and dropped the oil twice and just put It right back In, but only cuz I maybe had an hour or two on the oil change.

Quick Reply: Completed shorty exhaust, now leaking oil