F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Colder weather driving

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 11:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Colder weather driving

ORIGINAL: Blackdog F4i
I am also looking at some Gerbing heated clothing. I am definitly getting some heated socks this year.
I have the Gerbing and it really makes a huge difference. I bought them mostly for riding with the Wing, but tried it on the F4i last winter as well. You just have to make sure you keep the RPM's up or it will drain the battery. Also, make sure you have use their controller so you can turn it off if you're in traffic or whatever and can't keep the RPM's up.

Old 09-05-2006, 09:16 PM

Wow lots of good information here. I thought riding in cold weather was a hopeless cause. I don't think I will commute in the winter but I will definitely ride when it gets colder. That bit about the heated vest and how the dudes hands were relatively warm was pretty interesting.

When I was riding in Febuary I had my face shield fog up a lot but on the Arai RX-7 you can crack the visor a little open by way of this slider thingy on the visor itself. It really works when you are moving but when you stop the visor fogs up again. I didn't come up with a solution for this so I just opened the visor when I was at a stop light and then closed it when I was underway again.

Old 09-05-2006, 10:27 PM

I have heard the Fog City inserts are pretty good.

I don't really have an issue with my Shoei in the cold. When I stop or at low speed I crack the visor. It keeps the fogging down. At speed I don't have any issues because the ventilation is excellent. I have been thinking about a pinlock vison and a anti-fog sheild, but we will see. I need some pants first.

Old 09-05-2006, 11:51 PM

I'll ride as long as it's just above freezing. Last winter I took the bike for a spin around the neighborhood to work the lube in the chain when it was 15 degrees F out and it sucked ****. I'm definately getting heated gloves for this winter though.

Old 09-06-2006, 12:13 AM

ORIGINAL: spdrmns

here up in Minnesota, it snows! ALOT! lol.. last winter i rode in january when it got up to 45 with a foot of snow on the ground! (not on the street)..lol.. you just gota take it easy cause every inersection has sand all over it but not on the actual roads, all the sand is pushed off to the side so its not bad.. and im sure most of you are thinkin, "why the hell would you wanna ride in that wheather?!?!?!" well, when you havnt been riding for a few months BECAUSE of snow on the roads, you will be going CRAZY to get out on the bike! and then after your done with the ride and it gets cold and snowy again your like" DAMNIT! i should have gone on a longer ride!" hahahahah at least thats what im thinkin!
spdrmns,
Gotta tell you that I am going to be temped also this winter when the temp. gets up to 45 degrees but I can suggest getting a sled to get you thru the winters up here in Mn. This will be my 1st. winter owning a bike but I have been riding snowmobiles for 15+ years and got sick of the crappy winters we have been having..... 1st thing I did was by a mountain sled for our 2-3 trips out west to the Rocky Mountains riding and secondly I bought a bike for the extended summers we seem to be having the last few winters. It's going to be an interesting winter this year for me anyways as I have fallen in love with motorcycling but still love those trips out west to the steep & deep powder!!

-John

Old 09-06-2006, 12:29 AM

I actually have 2 sleds! LOL!! 01 XC 440, 92 V-Max 750 4 cyclender! hahaha.. i live in woodbury so when ever we get 4+ inches i go out on the trails... but they usually get beat to **** by the end of the day..lol..im sure you know how that goes! haha. remember that one day in last march when we got like 14-16 inches in 12 hours! holy crap that was the best day of my life!!!!! i called in to work ! "unable to leave my driveway!!" HAHAHA!! went out riding the ENTIRE DAY! 2 tank fulls of gas later.. lol.. i was litterly riding down highway 61!! and just driving like a car! NO CARS, WHITE OUT! oh man that was a good day! lol..

Old 09-06-2006, 01:53 AM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

its never too cold to ride in Texas 8)

Old 09-06-2006, 11:13 AM

ORIGINAL: RojerLockless

its never too cold to ride in Texas 8)
You suck. Thinking of riding my bike to the parents condo in FLA this winter.

Old 09-06-2006, 11:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've ridden in the snow here... I went to my folks place for a nice sunny fall ride. It started to snow on the way home. When I stopped at the lights in town I brushed the snow off of my gear - frozen pretty badly after the hour ride... and thinking to myself I can't beleive I'm the only idiot out here. Didn't a fella pull up next to me on an sv650... we chatted at the light... at least I'm not the only idiot out there.

I usually put my bike away in November and get it out as soon as the salts gone (april/may)... I'll ride down to the freezing point, or colder so long as it's dry.

Old 09-06-2006, 11:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in michigan and I rode probably a dozen times through the winter and even did a couple cross state trip in 40 to 50 degree temps. I think that my hands and feet were the hardest to keep warm

Quick Reply: Colder weather driving