F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Colder weather driving

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 12:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Colder weather driving

I was wondering what is the lowest temperature that you guys ride in? I have never had a bike in a colder climate (metro DC). I was riding in 50 degree weather in Feb this year but I it can get a lot colder than this around here during the winter season. What is the lowest temperature that is safe to ride? I am not talking about hardcore riding just average commuting. Oh are there different tires from the stock bridgestones that are better suited for colder weather? thanks in advance for the replies.

Old 09-05-2006, 12:32 AM
Ski
Default RE: Colder weather driving

I dont think cold is something you need to worry about. Its more the ice, black ice, snow, sand and salt thats all over the road. Anything that can mess up the way the tire grips teh pavment. I would say just put it away when it starts to see snow and ice on the road. And dont take it out till its clean out again.

Old 09-05-2006, 12:35 AM

I've ridden on Thanksgiving morning, left albuquerque at 8am, it was around 35 degrees, rode to Los Alamos (the back way) and it was around 25 degrees there (around 7k feet elevation?). I had to pull over and sit in a starbuck for around a halfhour with some very hot coffee to regain the feeling in my hands and feet! But it was a great ride, I do think I may invest in a heated vest this winter...

Old 09-05-2006, 12:36 AM
Retired Moderator

I think a key issue is to stay out of icy situations as much as possible. The guy that taught my MSF says ice and snow are the only things that keep him off the road. The rest is up to you. What do you feel is comfortable, do you have good raingear, are your boots waterproof, etc? I would think, if you have the gear to keep warm and dry, there is no reason you shouldn't ride (unless you don't have confidence in the rain).

Old 09-05-2006, 12:56 AM

So do you guys ride with the stock tires? I was also looking into getting a heated vest. I saw that dainese made one but it was MEGA bucks.

Old 09-05-2006, 12:56 AM
Ironmang
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea the cold you can always add more layers or take breaks, but ice and crap on the road is what would scare me. I used to live in Chicago and I know that black ice and such can come up out of nowhere and on a bike, you're screwed!! Of course I don't have do worry about that down here in SoFla, but I do alot of roadtrips and it's something I always keep in mind when planning a trip. The coldest I've rode in was 38 degrees and raining. It was last december when a friend and I rode up to Birmingham, AL to go to Barber, the morning we left to come back the weather wasn't so great to say the least, lol. But we were prepared for the cooler temps with lots of layers and thermals and heavy gloves, and to be honest I was toasty warm. Had all my raingear on, winter gloves, waterproof boots, etc, so it wasn't a problem. Still a PITA none the less though cuz it rained nonstop for 13 hours of the 17.5 hour ride home that day, lol

Old 09-05-2006, 01:06 AM

I ride pretty much year round. I had an F4i during most of the winter last year and rode every chance I got. I have heated gear, so I stayed fairly comfortable. Like others have said, it's what you feel comfortable with and I never ride when there's a chance of ice or snow on the roads. If it has snowed, I try to let a good rain wash all the salt crap away before taking the bike out. Fortunately we didn't have much of that last year.

Old 09-05-2006, 02:02 AM

I rode about 40 miles round trip to the university twice a week in 33 degree weather last year. Some tips I've learned...

MOST HELPFUL thing I have found: Wear something to cover your neck, chin, and mouth. I rode for about a month and I was miserable! Then I fixed the coldest, most irritating thing about the ride (chin/neck getting freezing) and it made the ride enjoyable.
-I cut the top off an old tobagan(sp?) hobo cap thing and put it around my neck, covering my chin and mouth. I then found that Academy sports and outdoors has a thing just like this that wont slip off and is warmer. GET IT!

Wear long john underwear under your jeans (or slacks when I rode to work)

Wear 2 or more layers of socks.

Wear AT LEAST one pair of extra long socks. The air will flip your pants up a few inches, exposing bare skin and making it very uncomfy. Socks help that not be a problem.

Let your bike warm up longer. Like while you're putting on your gear. Start it before, put all the gear on, then ride.

FIND SOMETHING that works for your helmet fogging up! I havent used those sprays or wipes, but the moisture from your warm lungs hitting your 40 degree visor will make it fog for sure. See what works for you, it is very unsafe to ride with it impaired. It WILL fog up.

I have found that normal snow gloves are warmer than my carbon fiber Joe Rockets. I've even worn those tiny black gloves under some snow gloves. You want your hands to be functioning perfectly.

I was watching the discovery channel about the effects of extreme cold on the human body. Long story short, at the end of the show, they tested a warming vest that covered and warmed the chest and back. The scientists made the guy take off his gloves, and took the room to freezing temps. With the vest, his hands were THE EXACT same temp as when it was room temperature! They turned off the vest, and within minutes, he lost function of his hands, and they dropped to almost freezing temperature. The heart stops pumping blood to the hands and toes when it sees fit, and concentrates more on vital organs. (hence the common frostbite)
Try the vest if you get some extra cash. This guy said he was completly comfortable while wearing it even without gloves.

Probaby a lot of typo's, but hopefully this helps.

Black.

Old 09-05-2006, 03:09 AM

here up in Minnesota, it snows! ALOT! lol.. last winter i rode in january when it got up to 45 with a foot of snow on the ground! (not on the street)..lol.. you just gota take it easy cause every inersection has sand all over it but not on the actual roads, all the sand is pushed off to the side so its not bad.. and im sure most of you are thinkin, "why the hell would you wanna ride in that wheather?!?!?!" well, when you havnt been riding for a few months BECAUSE of snow on the roads, you will be going CRAZY to get out on the bike! and then after your done with the ride and it gets cold and snowy again your like" DAMNIT! i should have gone on a longer ride!" hahahahah at least thats what im thinkin!

Old 09-05-2006, 10:15 AM

I ride year round. If there isn't snow/ice. I hate cleaning the bike, so not swet salty roads for me.

I have a winter riding jacket (Teknic Stinger) I need to get a real set of touring pants this fall. I am also looking at some Gerbing heated clothing. I am definitly getting some heated socks this year.

Quick Reply: Colder weather driving