F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

clutchless shifting

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 04:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutchless shifting

I know this is probably the thing u guys have talked about a million times, but i started clutchless shifting just because i always heard people talking about it and i was wondering if there is anyone who does it as their usual riding method and if they have had any problems, it feels much much much smoother than using the clutch, i havent started doing it all the time yet just wondering if i should

Old 03-23-2007, 04:48 AM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy
Default RE: clutchless shifting

ive just started doing it as well. i usually use the clutch for 1st - 2nd but after that its all clutchless . ppl say it wont hurt your bike or the clutch so im hoping the ppl im listening to are right , so far everything seems fine [sm=signs003.gif]

Old 03-23-2007, 04:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive done it for almost a year now...shifts so much faster...but only for up shifting... hardly ever for downshifting. I like controling the revvs better into turns or coming to a stop. and never for 1st-2nd...somtimes you will end up in neutral. and if i am just cruising...ill use the clutch sometimes...

Old 03-23-2007, 05:04 AM

I dont use the clutch at all for aggressive upshifting. Upshifting around town going slow is usually a bit clunky.The gears are undercut and will draw togetherwhether using the clutch or not. Clutchless downshifting... not usually good, use the clutch and blip the throttle. Breaking the rear tire loose on careless downshifts isbad for the digestion.

Old 03-23-2007, 01:52 PM

So you guys just stay on the gas hard and pop the shift lever up and that doesn't hurt anything at all?

Mike

Old 03-23-2007, 02:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have to preload the shift lever and quickly back off the gas for it to engage. There are hundreds of online tutorials on how to do the technique. Clutchless downshifting, although doable isn't recommended much, but I've done it once or twice on my bike...actually I learned it before upshifting.

Old 03-23-2007, 02:22 PM

very smooth, thats how i basically up-shift most of the time except i use just enough clutch to unload the gearbox and snick it into the next higher gear. i never downshift without using the clutch though. cheers

Old 03-23-2007, 02:52 PM

ORIGINAL: Jaybird180

You have to preload the shift lever and quickly back off the gas for it to engage. There are hundreds of online tutorials on how to do the technique. Clutchless downshifting, although doable isn't recommended much, but I've done it once or twice on my bike...actually I learned it before upshifting.
yea thats the thing no body ever told me before until i read an article in sport rider that talked about preloading the shifter and then it sent like butter but yea i ran into the problem of going into neutral if i try to go from 1st to 2nd but only like once of twice, but i figure it cant hurt to have another way of riding

Old 03-23-2007, 05:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Clutchless is usually used for 2 > 6 gears.

Old 03-23-2007, 05:53 PM

ORIGINAL: Jaybird180

Clutchless is usually used for 2 > 6 gears.
yea i kinda assumed that so it doesnt fall into neutral but thats how i have been using it

Quick Reply: clutchless shifting