F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Clutchless Downshifting

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 10:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutchless Downshifting

Hey everybody. Been doing some searching and I'm having trouble finding the answer I'm looking for. Does anyone else downshift without using the clutch? When i say downshift, I don't meandoing it duringextremely aggressive riding, but just for casual cruising. Normally, when slowing down, (gradual slowing at stoplights or maybe even off ramps)I will keep slight pressure on the shift lever, until the RPM's reach a certain level (not sure exactly what that point is but I do know it is pretty low) then the lever will slide right into the next gear down without any tire hop. Just curious if anyone else does this and if it is bad for the motor, transmisssion, etc... Thanks for any responses in advance.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:54 PM
Default RE: Clutchless Downshifting

do I ever for any reason at all downshift without using the clutch? HELL NO

Old 08-02-2007, 10:55 PM

I'm not to sure if it's bad or not but I do it whenI come up to stop lights also. It doesn't seem tosound bad for anything.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:57 PM

Whats the reasoning behind why you don't?

Old 08-02-2007, 11:09 PM

its probably only bad for the bike if you downshift into low enough gear that the RPMs jump up a few thousand RPM and you feel engine braking. At that point its not probably not doing your transmission any favors. For example doing it all the way down to first gear.

The point of using the clutch is to take load off the gears so when you shift they mesh together without too much grinding. downshifting without using the clutch does the exact opposite. Its putting pressure on the gears as you shift which means more grinding than smooth meshing.

the main thing is, its lazy riding technique. The more you do that the more likely you are to forget to use the clutch in a panic situation

Old 08-02-2007, 11:19 PM

i dont clutchless downshift, but i almost always clutchless upshift. If it is done right i dont think it does any harm to anything or hasnt to my bike yet.

Old 08-02-2007, 11:52 PM

Always you the clutch when downshifting.......always evens the pros do it comming in to the pits!!!

Old 08-03-2007, 08:56 AM
Registered Users

what is everyone's take on upshifting without the clutch...my friend just turned me onto and i almost ALWAYS upshift without the clutch...will that do damage??? i also never upshift without the clutch out of first to second...dunno, seems sort of rough....thoughts?

Old 08-03-2007, 09:09 AM

upshifting is fine as long as you let of the throttle when you make your shift, its doing the same thing as pulling the clutch, releasing the pressure on the gears so the gears can mesh smoothly

if you do it wrong, it will wear them out just like downshifting without the clutch

Old 08-03-2007, 09:25 AM
Registered Users

thanks woody....i always let off the throttle...is there a certain "science" to it...seeing as i just started doing it?? usually what i do is when i get up high in revs, i just let off the throttle and as i do that upshift then get right back on the throttle, i am still learning the precise timing on it (real close to nailing it) so there have been a couple times when i go to do it and it won't budge up so i just get on the throttle and ease up and try again and it goes...i have never "forced" it up, it always comes up with a gentle click as if i was pulling the clutch....think i am okay?

Quick Reply: Clutchless Downshifting