F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Clutch Lever Removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 07:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Lever Removal

I know that sounds really stupid and noobish butttt I've been trying to get this lever off for about 20 minutes. I removed the bolt, washer and nut on the bottom. I thought once that was removed it would just slide right out, but nope. It looks like there is a little raised spacer on the top side of the lever that is inside of the perch hole. I've even tried prying the perch open a little more thinking maybe somebody tightened the bolt too much and crimped the perch onto the lever too tightly. Any ideas???? This is retarded..

Old 05-08-2011, 08:23 PM

I think what you're referring to would be a bushing inside of the lever .. just push it down a lil till it lines up inside of the stock lever you're trying to remove ... hope that helps the problem man ...

Old 05-08-2011, 08:31 PM

That's what I thought too. Let me go out and try again. Like I said I felt stupid asking that but I've tried everything.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:37 PM

The only stupid question is the one ya don't ask man .... I don't judge anybody by their questions they ask, because I know i've asked quite a few stupid ones myself i'm sure ... lol ..... not everybody is very mechanically inclined and everybody has to start off somewhere learning .... (not referring to you, just in general) ...

Old 05-08-2011, 09:11 PM

So I went back and tried again. Notta. I'm thinking it is a bushing but it doesn't push down. There's nowhere for it to push to because it hits the bottom side of the perch. This is insane...lol

Do most levers just slide right out once you remove the bolt and nut?

Old 05-08-2011, 09:41 PM

Yea ... on almost all levers i've worked on you just take the bolt out and it pulls out ... then you work out the clutch cable and replace it .... try pushing it up from the bottom ? ... hahaha there's no way this lever should be giving you this many problems ....

Old 05-08-2011, 09:56 PM

Last time you had the lever off?

I can't think of anything else that would hold it back. Put your palm between the grip and lever and just bump it forward a few times, wiggle it up and down, etc.

Don't get crazy with it because you don't want to break something and cause yourself more headache, but a little force won't hurt anything.

Old 05-08-2011, 11:19 PM
July 2008 ROTM

Spray a little WD-40 in there to lube everything up. Might make a big difference.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:22 AM

I had the same problem when fitting the shorty levers, but it wasn't that hard to remove.

I sprayed a bit of wd40 and used a small socket with the same size of the bush and tapped slightly. It was catching the lever and after tapping on it I just pushed the lever to the front and she was out.

There's really nothing that she could be catching except for that bush...

Old 05-09-2011, 08:51 AM

LOL. I will try again tonight. Half the problem is the lever is broken off right at the perch so there isn't much of a lever for me to grab and wiggle. Maybe about 1" max. I even tried putting a small socket on the bushing and tapping it with a hammer. I also tried spreading out the perch with a screwdriver but I didn't want to bend it too far and crack the perch. I'll give it a shot later and let you guys know the outcome. I have literally spent about 45 minutes trying to get this damn thing out. Ridiculous.

Quick Reply: Clutch Lever Removal