F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Clutch Cable blocking Gauges

Old 10-19-2011, 10:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Cable blocking Gauges

I have searched around on here and haven't seen this so i thought i bring it up.
On my 06' F4i the clutch cable blocks some of the gauges (mostly speedo) making it hard to know if im in the 80's or 90's. I have heard the problem mentioned by many other F4i owners but have not found a safe solution for it. Does anyone have this problem, or a solution for it???

Old 10-19-2011, 10:20 AM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Everyone with an F4i has this problem, Not much you can do about it.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:27 AM
October 2011 ROTM

Yep one of the worst things about the F4i. I don't know what Honda was thinking.You can try to reroute it or try to zip tie it to something but remember you don't want the cable to get pinched or stretch it too much. I just left mine as it was a bigger hassle to reroute it over just looking at the speedo at a different angle.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by R Dub
Yep one of the worst things about the F4i. I don't know what Honda was thinking.You can try to reroute it or try to zip tie it to something but remember you don't want the cable to get pinched or stretch it too much. I just left mine as it was a bigger hassle to reroute it over just looking at the speedo at a different angle.
I thought about the zip tie, is that safe though?

Old 10-19-2011, 10:47 AM
October 2011 ROTM

If you were to try the zip tie route do not go tight with it. Keep the zip tie very loose. Just use it to hold the cable in the direction you want to go. Like I said if you go this route make sure you don't stretch or pinch/bind the cable as that will leave you stranded and then you will really be wishing your only problem was not seeing a clear view of the speedo.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thinking out loud here: Would it be possible to go with a longer cable so that it could be safely rerouted out of the vision path? Don't know if the expense or trouble would be worth it.

Old 10-19-2011, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by R Dub
If you were to try the zip tie route do not go tight with it. Keep the zip tie very loose. Just use it to hold the cable in the direction you want to go. Like I said if you go this route make sure you don't stretch or pinch/bind the cable as that will leave you stranded and then you will really be wishing your only problem was not seeing a clear view of the speedo.
Yeah, don't think i'll risk the zip tie route. But i am curious about the longer cable idea mentioned by Incompatible

Old 10-19-2011, 02:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-...r-20007/page3/
There used to be a website called f4icableclutchguide.com that sold mini hooks to hold the cable in place, just an idea. would take 3 minutes to make one yourself. but this is what they looked like:

I went with the ziptie route. From the very end of the cable on the chrome endcap to the nub on the clutch lever that the clutch lever sensor wires go into. The ziptie is about 2 inches long, not an ugly piece of clothes hangar, does not bind/pinch/bend the cable in any way, and pulls the cable closer just enough so it's out of the way.
something like this...blue line is my ziptie...

Attached Thumbnails Clutch Cable blocking Gauges-myclutch.jpg  

Last edited by Sick97SS; 10-19-2011 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:31 PM

Any pressure you put on the cable can be felt when you try to squeeze the clutch in. It makes it harder and you can tell it's trying to stretch the cable...so unfortunately its best not to touch the stock cable. Going longer might lead to a solution though, as others have said.

Old 10-20-2011, 12:38 AM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

I've got over 50k and 3 trackdays with my f4i, the cable is not a problem. Learn to love it

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clutch Cable blocking Gauges