F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Cleaning up my new, dirty F4I

Old 01-20-2011, 04:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning up my new, dirty F4I

So since purchasing my bike I recently purchased some new Royal Purple oil and filter, chain lube and some new Renthal grips to replace the only non-stock part on my bike, some ridiculous Kurykahn grips that do not match anything, in any way. I am very excited to change the oil and get the grips on.

Questions:

I got some glue for the grips, should that be sufficient? I saw safety wire for sale, but am not sure how you would utilize that.

From my bike previously sitting outside with the previous owner, it now has surface rust. Does anyone have suggestions on how to remove this? I've already got some WD-40 on them to prevent further oxidation.

Next:

My next purchase will be mirrors and flushmount signals, as my left side ones are broken. I will be going with Slik designs mirrors and Proton flushmounts. Do anyone have experience with the Slik adjustable length mirrors? They look pretty nice.

Old 01-20-2011, 04:54 PM

You can use a wire brush on the rust. You don't need glue or wire on your grips One cup of water and one drop of dish soap and you'll be able to slide them on. Let them dry for a day or two and you'll be good to go.

Also, I've got a set of clear hotbodies flushmounts if you're interested.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:00 PM

A wire brush isnt too abrasive? I ordered two tubes of the damn glue, so I might as well use it. It was only 2 bucks, its a very small amount of very strong glue apparantly.

I really like the Protons, so the hotbodies would have to be a great deal for me to change my mind. What are you looking for, for them? I like how the protons are programmable, and I like the finish.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:11 PM

What exactly is the surface rust on? Generally a soft bristled wire brush will do the trick but I see your concern. You have have the hotbodies for 20 bucks shipped within the US

Old 01-20-2011, 05:36 PM

Shoot I guess I forgot to include that info, the forks.

What are the condition of the signals? I appreciate the info.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:42 PM

They're in Good condition. There is a pic in this thread...
https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-sale-trade-99/hotbodies-flush-mounts-cheap-118253/

Not sure on how to handle rust on your forks....

Old 01-20-2011, 07:33 PM

I would use fine wire wool on the rust if you don't have any, tinfoil and coke works OK just screw it up first.

Gluing on the grips is all well and good until you need to remove them, Ive always had good results with hairspray, it stays wet long enough to slide them on and also sticks well enough when dry. YMMV

Old 01-20-2011, 07:38 PM

Hair spray is good too. Can't believe I didn't remember that one

Old 01-21-2011, 07:52 AM

I used fine steel wool on my forks, leaves them shiny and smooth. It's important that you clean them up at least about 3" above where the upper leg meets the lower leg or you are going to tear the fork seals when the suspension travels in and out.

My 2005 was being stored under a very good DOWCO cover on a patio for a few months unridden before I bought it, and the Florida humidity had left some surface corrosion on the fork legs. Sure enough, within 6 months of buying the bike and riding it occasionally I had fork fluid leaks due to the tearing. I rebuilt with OEM parts and never looked back.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:30 AM

The part that has rust is not what actually moves, its just the chrome on the housing. The actual mechanical part that is stainless steel I believe, is nice and clean. Hairspay sounds like a real good idea. I may use that to aid in sliding it on. I have the glue already, I will use it for good measure. Taking them off wouldnt be a problem, razor blade and goof off.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cleaning up my new, dirty F4I