F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Cleaning & tightening chain & brake squeak

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 10:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cleaning & tightening chain & brake squeak

I've got an '06 F4i and I have my chain adjusted to 1 1/4". I believe Honda says anywhere from 1 1/4" - 1 3/8". It's actually very very easy to do too. Throw your bike up on your new stand. Grab a 22mm (I think it's 22) socket or cresent wrench and put it on the left side. I couldn't find a metric size big enough for the right so I used an 1 1/4" socket for the right side which is actually the nut I threw it on a breaker bar and WHAMO it's loosened. I did cheat though, I had someone hold the left side and the bike while I cranked on the nut. I felt safer than just holding both but I don't think the bike would have tipped anyway. Next grab either a 6mm or 8mm wrench/socket whatever you prefer and have a reference point and turn each adjusting bolt the same number of turns. I turned both of mine one full rotation from 12 o'clock to 12 o'clock. If your bike only has 2k miles I don't think you'll need a full turn because it tightens the chain up pretty quick from what I noticed. Now all you have to do is grab your torque wrench and tighten up the rear wheel to 69lbs I believe and you're off riding! =)

Old 05-13-2007, 04:00 PM

thanks krash, i have the owners manual but thats it, i need to get an actual repair manual somewhere.I dont have any prob messin with cars b/c if something goes wrong ur not gonna completely lose it or kill urself, where as if i mess up on the rear wheel of the bike im pretty much screwed. I'd like to see someone else do it first or have someone thats done it b4, with me when i do it the first time. I might mess with it today we'll see...... im gonna measure the free play first.... it was tightened when i had the first service done. its just that it seems really loosed to me, maybe thats how its supposed to be. i dunno but i'll find out. thanks for the help and info!!!!

Old 05-13-2007, 06:57 PM

well i got my new home made 2x4 stand out today, let it run for about 5 min to warm up, used WD40 soaked it, then used a brush and let the chain run along it for a little while, then used some shop rags wiped off the excess, rinsed off with some water wiped dry again, let it sit and air dry for about 5-10 min which it didnt really dry much, then ran it again for 5 min let the chain warm up then used my Maxima chain wax. its sitting for the recommened 15-20 min as i type this. I measured the free play and with my tape measure it went from 10 1/4" to 11 3/4" so about 1.5" of free play. I might try tomorrow to tighten it up a bit, im gonna go wash my car now then take the bike out for a ride. lemme know if what i did seems ok or not. and im gonna post some pix of my home made stand in a new post later this evening for everyone to make fun of me. lol.

Old 05-13-2007, 08:59 PM

ok so i waited about 45 min after putting on the Maxima Chain wax and then went for a nice 35 min ride reaching about 120 at one point. I get back home and look at everything and the fairing right behind the kickstand under the crank sprocket was all gooped with stuff. so i look underneath the chain guard and sure enough the under side of that was all gooped up too. whats up with this?? I re applied the chain wax and am letting it sit until tomorrow afternoon til i Can ride it again and see what happens. Im thinking the WD40 is still on the chain and is flinging off or not letting the wax set correctly. any ideas/suggestions???