F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Choice between an F4i and F4i sport

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 07:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choice between an F4i and F4i sport

Hi everyone,

Looking for an F4i, I've looked at several bikes. I found two bikes on same price, that are in very good condition, and haven't decided between them.
1. F4i 2006 Silver-Black (banana)with 18.000 km very clean, mivv exhaust, new flash and taillights but this model is the one with NO adjustable suspension. Should that matter a lot?
2. F4i Sport Red - black with 24.000, very clean, with Yoshimura exhaust, slim flash lights.

My thought is that I prefer the looks of the Sport model BUT I would like to have the comfort of rider and pillion and double stand too. Riding wise, I am not going to be doing any tracks, only rides for fun, some commuting some small trips with gf. I wouldnt mind also a top box rail to take on and off for some work stuff i need to carry sometimes. I know it doesnt look cool!!! Stop laughing!

Colorwise I prefer the red, although it looks too loud! although I like the silver too.
My initial thought is to get the sport and then invest on:
-- bagster tank cover - and bag
-- an aftermarket grab rail and a comfort passenger seat like corbin that I would put on ONLY when gf is riding on the back for a small trip
-- a double stand

Whats your opinion??? Any suggestion is welcome.
Cheers.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:53 AM

By the way, I think I got the model names wrong. There are differences between American and European market names for the CBRs. In Europe I think the two different models are named CBR600F and CBR600F Sport.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe there's also a difference in final gear ratio between the F and F Sport, with the sport having shorter gearing. So if you're interested in faster acceleration you'd be happier with the Sport, but if you're doing a lot of touring or highway riding the non-Sport might be a little less buzzy. Of course you could always change your sprockets to get it how you want.

I'd appreciate the convenience of a center stand when it's time to clean the chain, but I don't know if it's worth the reduction in ground clearance. Personally I wouldn't want one.

Last edited by Munson; 06-21-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:53 PM
"A"
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Munson
but I don't know if it's worth the reduction in ground clearance. Personally I wouldn't want one.
Please, how often do you lean the bike over enough to grind the stand on public streets or even on the track?

but you do have to clean/lube the chain at least once a month, if you actually ride the bike.

I just put a center stand on my F4i, no issue with ground clearance whatsoever.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:05 AM

Do you think the lack of front suspension full adjustment for the newer model CBR600F (2006) is a very important factor to consider when buying a CBR? I do not have experience of this, and how to use it. I am not planning to take the bike on track.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:42 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Psycho
Do you think the lack of front suspension full adjustment for the newer model CBR600F (2006) is a very important factor to consider when buying a CBR? I do not have experience of this, and how to use it. I am not planning to take the bike on track.
What do you mean lack of full adjustment? I had an 06 F4i and could set preload, rebound and damping

Old 06-22-2013, 12:30 PM
"A"

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
What do you mean lack of full adjustment? I had an 06 F4i and could set preload, rebound and damping
Same here with my current 2006 F4i, but those Euro models may be different.

Old 06-22-2013, 03:46 PM

Yes they did leave out the adjustable front suspension in latest models (I think it is from 2006, but not 100% sure for year), in order to cut down cost and market it as a more sports touring machine, at least in Europe. Here is a picture of such a model.

My question to experienced CBR riders is how important should this be to my decision?

Old 06-22-2013, 03:58 PM
"A"

Price out how much it might cost to get adjustment caps for those babies.. go from there...

Old 06-22-2013, 07:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To me it'd be a deal breaker. Aggressive riding or not, there is a noticeable difference between a properly dialed in suspension for the rider and one that isn't. Even for just commuting to work. Especially if the rider isn't the ideal weight for the default suspension.

I'm about 145 lbs w/o gear, pretty close to the weight the F4i's suspension was designed for. So I set everything to stock and was fine. Well those crazy Germans must put away a lot of schnitzel cause the s1k is designed for a rider around 185 lbs. And both my bikes tried to beat me to death on the street till I adjusted the damping

Quick Reply: Choice between an F4i and F4i sport