F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Changing brake fluid

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 05:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing brake fluid

what procedure due you guys use to change brake fluid. I have almost 12k on bike and was gonna do it this winter.

Old 02-05-2008, 05:40 AM
Default RE: Changing brake fluid

It all depends how you want to do it. I would recommend a Vacuum pump as opposed to the old school method. Put the vacuum system on the bleeder valve and pull a vacuum, make sure that before you get all the fluid out of the reservoir, you stop to add more fluid to keep the chances of air bubbles down. Pay attention to how much you put in and comes out of the system, IF there is a quality difference watch for clean fluid to come out of the bleeder. Once the old fluid has been cycled out top up and double/ triple check for bubbles and proper lever feel.

1. Attach vacuum pump to bleeder nozzle.
2. Take reservoir cap off.
3. Pull a vacuum.
4. Open bleeder
5. Watch fluid level in reservoir to make sure it never gets empty enough to allow air bubbles.
6.Add more fluid, bleed more out
7.When old fluid has been cycled out, top up and bleed again, making sure you have proper lever feel.

Ive never bled a Dual front caliper system. Id imagine that you can do it the same, you just need extra hose and a T fitting to simultaneously bleed both front brakes. A friend who may or may not have done this before would probably be a bit of help if you are not totally comfortable.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Getting a vacuum pump will help make it easier, I just did it without, by pumping the lever i.e.
Replacing fluid:
* attach hose to bleed valve and put it in a bottle.
* open bleed valve
* open reservoir cap
* pump brake lever to drain... until reservoir level is low but not empty
* fill fluid
* pump to drain... repeat until fluid is all new color and clear

Bleeding (getting rid of bubbles):
* open bleed valve, push in brake lever
* clear fluid with maybe a few bubbles will come out the bleed tube
* close bleed valve while lever is in, then release lever
* if no bubbles + brake feel is tight, close the reservoir and you're good to go, otherwise repeat this

* Read the service manual before doing this, might give you extra details
* For front calipers get a t-joint attachment. make sure you watch for bubbles in both bleed valves. If there are a lot you could bleed both separately, bleeding the bottom one first (tilt of bike) and then top (keep both attached).
* It can be hard to get the tubes onto the valves. I used a nose plier to enlarge the end of the tube before I could put it on the valve.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow...i've never thought of using a T to split the line to the vacuum...i just do one side at a time...great advice!

Old 02-05-2008, 10:30 AM

Why would you want to change it at 12K. I'm sure it's fine. Even the dealers don't suggest changing it that soon (and we all know if there was any excuse, they would do it)

Old 02-05-2008, 10:52 AM

brake fluid should be changed on a time basis, not a mileage basis. brake fluid is hydrophilic, so it absorbs ambient moisture in the air. as it absorbs the moisture, its boiling point lowers such that it becomes easier to boil the fluid at lower temperatures, leading to a spongy brake lever and decreased braking ability.

12,000 miles in 6 months? nah don't need new fluid. 12,000 miles in 3 years with no fluid change? DO IT.

FWIW, i change my brake fluid every few months or so, but this is on a track bike where the brakes and fluid see high temps.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:05 AM

Thanks for the response I ride an 02 and know that it has never been changed so thats why I was gonna do it. Does thehand pump units you find at auto zone and the like work well.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:33 AM

oh btw, i got a set of speedbleeders and they're marvelous. takes a 20-30 min job and turns it into a 5 minute job.

Old 02-05-2008, 04:28 PM

Changing out your old brake fluid does WONDERS for brake feel...and yes, if you look in your manual, it does tell you to swap it out every now and then. I have personally done and it I will never go more then a year and half now without new brake fluid.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:39 AM

ORIGINAL: charlos

oh btw, i got a set of speedbleeders and they're marvelous. takes a 20-30 min job and turns it into a 5 minute job.

whats the part number for the speed bleeders?

Quick Reply: Changing brake fluid