F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

chain? & sprocket life?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 04:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default chain? & sprocket life?

How often do you guys change these?

sorry if this has been done b4. but would like new results so.
________
Sexy_Island_Girl

Last edited by F4iMane; 09-09-2011 at 05:53 AM.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: chain? & sprocket life?

Depends on a lot of things.

Type of riding
How often you clean and lube it
How well it's kept adjusted properly
Type of chain and sprockets

If the chain and sprockets are stock size and materials and you do your maintenance properly (which I'm sure you do) then you can get over 10K miles out of them.

Old 12-05-2008, 08:24 PM

I bought my bike used with 10k miles and neither the chain or the sprockets showed signs of excessive wear. Take care of it and it should last you a very long time.

Old 12-06-2008, 03:37 AM

My stock chain lastedabout 16k miles before it was stretched to the limit of the adjuster. I got into regularchain wax/lubea li'l late, I guess damage was done. Now my bike is over 21k miles, stock sprockets are still going good and I clean and wax the chain regularly.

Old 12-06-2008, 08:22 AM

yeah i got a little over 16 too. I need to replace the sprocket too though. I don't race it or nothing and i'm easy on a clutch.

Old 12-06-2008, 09:18 AM

ORIGINAL: orags

My stock chain lastedabout 16k miles before it was stretched to the limit of the adjuster. I got into regularchain wax/lubea li'l late, I guess damage was done. Now my bike is over 21k miles, stock sprockets are still going good and I clean and wax the chain regularly.

OK. Cause my 03 F4i got like 11K miles or so on it, I think the chain and sprocket are stock and was wondering if you guys suggested that they were gettin a bit old??????????????????
________
LightRiver cam

Old 12-06-2008, 10:41 AM

ORIGINAL: F4iMane

OK. Cause my 03 F4i got like 11K miles or so on it, I think the chain and sprocket are stock and was wondering if you guys suggested that they were gettin a bit old??????????????????
the only way to tell if the chain needs replaced is if the placard on your swingarm tells you to replace it after a certain limit is reached. if you're at 11k, and if you have regularly cleaned and lubed her every few hundred miles, you've probably got a few thousand miles left on her.

Old 12-06-2008, 11:37 AM

ORIGINAL: FLYOU

ORIGINAL: F4iMane

the only way to tell if the chain needs replaced is if the placard on your swingarm tells you to replace it after a certain limit is reached. if you're at 11k, and if you have regularly cleaned and lubed her every few hundred miles, you've probably got a few thousand miles left on her.
what up bro? but what is a placard? tells you to replace it? how so?
________
IHNO

Old 12-06-2008, 12:09 PM

Bought mine new(zero miles).Lubed every 500 miles or once a week. Adjusted it every oil change(4k)..Mine had 20k on it before it started getting tight spots in the chain(sprockets still looked good).That is mountain riding,commuting and just overall hard riding.

Went with the rk steel sprocket kit (stock 525 chain,stock gearing)and have zero complaints. I recommend going with new sprockets and chain,even the old sprockets look good.For longer wear.

Look for tight spots,rust at the oring area,abnormal sprocket wearand noise at low speeds these are all signs you need a new chain.

Old 12-06-2008, 03:40 PM

ORIGINAL: white99gt

Bought mine new(zero miles).Lubed every 500 miles or once a week. Adjusted it every oil change(4k)..Mine had 20k on it before it started getting tight spots in the chain(sprockets still looked good).That is mountain riding,commuting and just overall hard riding.

Went with the rk steel sprocket kit (stock 525 chain,stock gearing)and have zero complaints. I recommend going with new sprockets and chain,even the old sprockets look good.For longer wear.

Look for tight spots,rust at the oring area,abnormal sprocket wearand noise at low speeds these are all signs you need a new chain.

so you stayed with stock type. Thats cool. Probably will do the same. How much that run you and what were the individual amounts? New chain? sprockets?
________
Glass bubblers

Quick Reply: chain? & sprocket life?