CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Chain slack (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/chain-slack-21455/)

Blackdog F4i 08-23-2006 10:09 PM

RE: Chain slack

Owners manual tells you proper slack. Can't remember offhand.

When you turn the wheel with the bike on a rear stand (everyone should own one) it should turn smoothly, you shouldn't see any kinks. If any of the links stick. It's time to replace it. I clean and inspect my chain every 300miles. That is one part on the bike that can mess you up quick. If the chain breaks it can lock the bike up, break the crankcase, tear through your leg like a chainsaw and generally make a mess of everything it comes in contact with. Most people that bust a chain on a F4i get away with a busted case.

BTW, DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT, get a clip on master link. Rivet on ONLY. Yea it takes a tool to install it, but on every thrown chain I have heard of has been from a busted clip-on master link. Buy the tool once and it will work on every chain on every bike.

I use a DID 525 X-ring. I put it on about 9K ago and havent had to adjust it yet.

I agree on not wasting your money on a 520 conversion. They chain will strech faster than a 525, and you won't notice the difference in weight.

ninetyfivehp 08-23-2006 10:21 PM

your chain slack should be 1"- 1 3/8" measured exactly between the front and rear sprockets on thr lower chain rung.

knightslugger 08-23-2006 10:25 PM

600rr.us has one for the RR and give you an eye spoting method to chain slack. Just barely touches the frame guard at the very back when pushed up. that denotes good slack.

raredogg 08-23-2006 10:30 PM

Gold Regina 525 ORS, 120 link O-Ring Chain with Clip and Rivet O-Ring Master Links heres the one i ordered should do the trick and ya im going to get the tool as well to install it, I also bought a new front and rear sproket 16/46 525's should do the trick.

raredogg 08-23-2006 10:36 PM

you shouldnt have to change the sprockets every time you change your chain right? i did but some 525's 16/46 and will replace them when i replace the chain i was just woundering?

knightslugger 08-23-2006 10:38 PM

depends on the amount of wear the sprockets show.

Blackdog F4i 08-23-2006 10:40 PM

If there are any wear patterns on the sprockets, replace them. Old sprockets can wear out a new chain quickly.

shraz 08-24-2006 03:13 AM

when I got my bike from previous owner
the chain was really tight in a spin and slack on another wheel spin
I replaced the chain & sprockets

don't go cheap... go w/ X-ring way better
I got the EK chain and AFAM sprocket and I love it

Blackdog F4i 08-24-2006 01:48 PM

BTW looser is better than tighter.

Running too tight puts more friction and stress on the chain and can cost you more Hp through drivetrain loss.

raredogg 08-28-2006 09:30 PM

well i replaced my chain with a EK X-ring rivit chain and it rides like i just got it from the dealer. my old chain had 19 thousand on it and had a few kinks but not to shabby being a oem chain.