F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Chain Oil HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 05:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chain Oil HELP!

I just bought my 02 CBR F4i about two weeks ago. Its been raining for about 3 days straight here in VA. Is their anything I need to do to the chain after all this rain? I def plan on buying a cover after this downpoor!! Also...does anyone have the step by step for an oil change?

Thanks

Old 06-26-2006, 06:04 PM
Default RE: Chain Oil HELP!

clean yor chain with some kerosene, wipe off the excess, then lube the chain with maxima chain wax or something designed for o-ring chains.

here a link to dowload to manual. awesome site
http://www.stephygee.com/

Old 06-26-2006, 06:10 PM

I wouldn't think the rain did a whole lot to the chain if it was already oiled beings it's not water soluble. Won't hurt it to re-oil it tho. Just go ride it for a few minutes to get it hot, and oil it. Scrub it first with a brush and WD40 if it's rusty or nasty looking. I have always used chain wax, and seems to stay cleaner longer.

Changing the oil is pretty simple. I put down some aluminum foil where some oil may fall on the plastics/header, and just leave all the plastics on the bike. I've never had a problem getting oil on stuff. Pull off the drain bolt on the bottom of the motor. Let the oil drain. Get you a 65-68 oil adapter for a wrench to unscrew the oil filter. Carefully remove so no oil goes anywhere. Put the bottom bolt on. Put filter on. Put 3.5 quarts of oil in. Start, Ride 15-20 minutes.

Old 06-28-2006, 06:12 PM
Fox
Banned

Relube it.

I use the Honda Pro version. Works great! Very little fling.

Old 07-01-2006, 03:20 AM

try some gunk cycle chain lube it's great and cheap too.

Old 07-03-2006, 05:26 PM

At the place I bought my bike The guy suggested some Honda white graphite chain lube. It's like a can of WD40 with the little red tube and everything. It was the most expensive stuff (only like $10ish though I think at the most) so I'm hoping its good. When should you clean your chain? Something I definately recommend is a stand. I NEED one! lol I just spray the chain around the rear gear thingymababer (no I'm not very technical I'm a noob) and then roll the bike forward a little bit and spray again until I think that I've sprayed the whole chain. /shrug
Mike

Old 07-03-2006, 06:47 PM

Its a rear sproket.

And when you roll your bike during the lube process, make sure you don't roll your bike through the lube trail on the ground.

Old 07-03-2006, 06:59 PM

Ok, I will be honest and say that Im clueless why the chain needs to be relubed. What is the purpose of that? Will the sproket wear out or something? I have high temp resistance bearing grease, can i use that? Any help is always appreciated!

Old 07-03-2006, 07:22 PM

You will ruin your chain if you use WD-40 on it.

A motorcycle chain is an O-Ring Sealed Grease Lubericated Chain. Behind the O-ring seals is grease. WD-40 Penetrates this seal and solubalizes the grease rendering both components useless. The grease is essental to proper Chain flexability. If a chain cannot bend, it cannot go around sprockets. If it can't go around sprokets, your motorcycle doesn't move. The reason you clean a chain is to protect the O-rings from damage. Kerosene is recomended becasue it will not penetrate the Oring, and will not ruin the exposed rubber. Th reason you Lube a chain is to keep dirt away from the orings, and to keep the exposed portions of the oring protected. Using a Anti-Sling lubricant such as Maxima Chain Wax will accomplish three tasks:

Keep the Metal rust free
Protect the O-Ring from road grime
Keep the Exposed O-Ring lubricated to extend its life.

Avoid using lubrication agents that will sling such as cheap gear oil or bering grease because it'll end up on your tires, body work, helmet, girlfriend's boobies, EVERYWHERE. Remember that only a light coat of chain wax is nessessary. too much may collect in the front sprocket cover which can end up in the driveway, or on your bodywork.

TO EMPHASIZE THE POINT:

Never Never Never use WD40 on an O-ring chain. It's the fastest way to force you to replace it in a few thousand (or hundred) miles.

Old 07-03-2006, 07:35 PM

Wow, pretty thorough. Thanks a bunch Knightslugger.

Quick Reply: Chain Oil HELP!