CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Chain Lube (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/chain-lube-108738/)

Holmesf4i 04-12-2010 12:05 AM

Chain Lube

Hey there what do you guys recommend for chain lube? I had an old can of D.I.D something but i'm gonna purchase a new can tomorrow just seeing if you guys have any suggestions or a favorite product that you use? Any insight would be appreciated

Thanks, Nate

usetheffours 04-12-2010 12:44 AM

use wd-40 :icon_lolsign:
i've used a few different brands of spray on lube and like fuchs silkolene the best.

Incognito 04-12-2010 08:23 AM

If there's a Lowe's by your house, you can pick up a can of DuPont Teflon Multi-Use Lubricant for $5.
It's all I ever use; good stuff.

Holmesf4i 04-12-2010 08:26 AM

Yeah WD-40 :) ill get right on that so.. thanks for the advice fellas im gonna go pick up a can of fuchs cause i don't have a Lowe's in my town.

Indiana Hurricane 04-12-2010 08:26 AM

:icon_doh: You ought to use the search button up above. :icon_doh:

kilgoretrout 04-12-2010 09:03 AM

:icon_doh: You ought to use the search button up above. :icon_doh:
Quit starting trouble, indy.
That's my job. :)

Now what's the problem with WD40??
:D:D

Indiana Hurricane 04-12-2010 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout (Post 906005)
Quit starting trouble, indy.
That's my job. :)

Now what's the problem with WD40??
:D:D

ANswer???

I just lilke this product better.

regener8ed 04-12-2010 09:25 AM

i prefer the spray chain wax.

p.s., here's a little home remedy tip: chain wax is the bomb for lubricating old locks. i have old padlocks I use outdoors that get really stubborn with time and weather. i used to put wd40 in them, but that only lasts a short while. i sprayed some chain wax in them several YEARS ago, and they still open and lock like a dream.

johnnyx 04-12-2010 09:30 AM

This question will get you as many solid answers as "Which oil should I use," but here's my point-oh-two:

So long as you're lubricating every 500mi like you're supposed to, and replacing your chain and sprockets at the right times, then pretty much every chain lubricant out there is gonna do ya. You may have to use a little more with some and less with others, but you'll come out the same in the end.

CBRme 04-12-2010 09:58 AM

+1 for chain wax i use it religiously and have never had a problem

fourxchevy 04-12-2010 12:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I use and like chain wax also.

Holmesf4i 04-12-2010 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by fourxchevy (Post 906061)

Just went to my local motorcycle dealer and picked a can of the chain wax up. This is what they recommended, they also said that it holds up a lot better to moisture, and it goes on cleaner than some other lubricants. So thanks again for all the help and ill work on using the search button in the future :icon_emm:

Sick97SS 04-12-2010 12:11 PM

Clean with WD-40,
Lube with ChainWax

Heylerds 04-12-2010 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by fourxchevy (Post 906061)

This is what I use, chain wax ftw!

kilgoretrout 04-12-2010 01:57 PM

I used chain wax for a while. In fact, the exact same brand that fourxchevy has pictured up there. It was on a clearance rack for like $3 at the bike shop.
It's ok, I guess, but it seemed like it attracted way too much dirt so I went back to WD40 for all my cleaning and lubing....:D
I also used some of that motorkote stuff like indy suggested (thanks again, man... :icon_wink:) and it works pretty good, too. Doesn't seem to get real dirty, either.

skameigh 04-12-2010 04:03 PM

Ive been using a grunge brush with wd40 to clean my chain then lube it with Belrays. Seems to work fine with me so far!

chetman7 04-12-2010 04:26 PM

I use belrays lube. I'm still on my first bottle so I can't compare

F4ith 04-13-2010 12:43 AM

I've been using wax for a while now and it always LOOKS really moist and well lubricated but have any of you wax users ever felt the chain? Is it supposed to be that dry and sticky?

CBR Kelowna 04-13-2010 10:38 PM

use diesel fuel tooth brush to clean, once cleaned chain saw lube on a different tooth brush, spray lube every second tank fill. 24,000 km's last year with one adjustment.

chuckbear 04-14-2010 10:11 AM

Chain wax ftw. Used it on everything on/offroad from dirtbikes to atvs to my F3. Great stuff, not much fling, very sticky.

F4ith 04-14-2010 01:22 PM

Yea wax has no fling but is it supposed to be that sticky? Shouldn't it be MOIST??

I just asked some guys at a shop and they say wax is more for dirtbikes.

Sick97SS 04-14-2010 03:03 PM

Sticky is for anti-fling. The stuff is one of the best lubes out there.

Jerzdan 04-14-2010 08:08 PM

Clean the chain with a grunge brush and some kerosene and lube it with the Dupont Teflon Multi use lube as mentioned above. Stuff works great and you get absolutly ZERO flinging off. Plus it smells good too.

F4ith 04-15-2010 01:02 AM

I understand that it's no fling, but you're all ignoring the question. Does it actually keep the chain moist? Have any wax users ever felt the chain the day after waxing? Mine looks very clean and moist, but feels sticky and dry.

Indiana Hurricane 04-15-2010 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by F4ith (Post 907033)

I just asked some guys at a shop and they say lube is more for dirtbikes.

:icon_doh: Walk away, walk away real slowly put your key in the ignition and find another shop :icon_bike:

chuckbear 04-15-2010 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by F4ith (Post 907382)
I understand that it's no fling, but you're all ignoring the question. Does it actually keep the chain moist? Have any wax users ever felt the chain the day after waxing? Mine looks very clean and moist, but feels sticky and dry.

Here's the thing that I think is throwing you off. The purpose of keeping "lube" on the chain is not to "keep the chain moist". Sure, there's a bit of that but the main thing is to keep the seals (o-rings) with the factory lubricant in good condition and to keep dirt from getting caked in there and hurting the rubber.

At least this is how I understand it.

From my perspective, Chain Wax does this particularly well because of the stickyness and resistance to flinging off... thus it will be there working longer and more effectively.

F4ith 04-15-2010 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Indiana Hurricane (Post 907438)
:icon_doh: Walk away, walk away real slowly put your key in the ignition and find another shop :icon_bike:

LOL meant to say wax!

F4ith 04-15-2010 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by chuckbear (Post 907583)
Here's the thing that I think is throwing you off. The purpose of keeping "lube" on the chain is not to "keep the chain moist". Sure, there's a bit of that but the main thing is to keep the seals (o-rings) with the factory lubricant in good condition and to keep dirt from getting caked in there and hurting the rubber.

At least this is how I understand it.

From my perspective, Chain Wax does this particularly well because of the stickyness and resistance to flinging off... thus it will be there working longer and more effectively.

See this answer makes a lot more sense. I might switch back to wax because of this. But is all this true??

Also, how often are you supposed clean/rewax a waxed chain? I'm still trying to get the wax off my chain from months ago...eventually just gave up and lubed over it. My chains at the stretch limit so I don't really care to clean it THAT much. I still do.

I've been using Klotz KLR btw.

vangill 04-15-2010 08:04 PM

just use wax, i think its been said before in this thread every 500 miles or so to relube(wax) the chain, and i dont think any is actually better than another soem just have more convienient benifits but when use properly your chain will stay in good shape

HydroPrelude85 04-18-2010 11:45 AM

its all personal preferance

i clean with WD-40 and a chain brush
i lube with Castrol chain wax
and that works fine for me

bubba_finch07 04-18-2010 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by HydroPrelude85 (Post 908783)
i clean with WD-40 and a chain brush
i lube with Castrol chain wax
and that works fine for me

Does it work good. I'm looking for some good lube with out covering everything is grease after it starts turning.