F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Chain or bearing problem? grinding and making a noise! PLEASE HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 11:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Chain or bearing problem? grinding and making a noise! PLEASE HELP!!

I just got a 2002 honda cbr 600 f4i. I know i need a new chain and sprockets. For the time being I got the chain tightened and now it is really tight in one spot of the chain (no freeplay) then i push the bike a little and the chain loosens up and feels right. When riding the bike i feel a little grinding or something coming from what i think is the back of the bike. It makes a yuh yuh yuh yuh sound as i ride at any speed. the yuh yuh yuh noise increases as i speed up and slows down as i lower my speed. Is it just the bad chain and sprockets or could it be the bearings?

Old 05-09-2013, 12:27 AM

Does anyone know what the problem could be?

Old 05-09-2013, 02:57 AM

i think it is the noise of the chain going around the sprockets making the noise(The chain has not been cleaned in a while). Or could it be the bearings in one of the wheels making the noise?

Old 05-09-2013, 06:25 AM

It's the chain... I've had the same thing happen when I don't adjust it right. Time for a new one and maybe sprockets too.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:36 PM

Yeah i took it to the shop they said i should get a RK 520 conversion kit for the chain and sprockets. Do you think that is the right way to go if i replace everything or should i stick with the original parts from Honda? I didn't have the cash so he just adjusted the chain until I get the new chain and sprockets. You sure that it is the chain? Did it make the same noise when you were riding it? My chain is really dirty though?

Old 05-09-2013, 05:20 PM

Yea, mine made a chum, chum, chum noise. If it gets bad enough the chain will start jumping teeth on the sproket and could eventually break teeth off. You'll notice now that it's started, it'll progressively get worse. The chain will start to gain more slack quicker. The 520 conversion isn't a bad idea. You can get the whole conversion kit online for pretty cheap...maybe $150-$200. Depending on how bad the sprockets look, you may be able to get away with just replacing the chain itself.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:52 AM

It's good practice to always replace the chain and sprockets at the same time. If your sprockets are shot they'll ruin a new chain fairly quickly then you'll have to fork out the money for them anyways as well as another chain. I wouldn't ride on it in that condition, I had a chain that worn on another bike and decided to just not ride it rather than risk it snapping and causing all sorts of bad stuff to happen.

Old 05-10-2013, 02:48 AM

Yeah I got the chain tightened and thought everything was good, then the noise started immediately (the "chum,chum" noise) so i went back to see what was wrong and the chain seemed to tighten up on it own and left me (no free-play) in the chain. he loosened it and then i went off on my way again and the noise kept happening. There is a really bad tight spot in the chain.

I am not going to ride the bike until i get it fixed. It's my daily rider (basically my car). I am getting the 520 conversion kit (chain and sprockets all together) for $125.00 at my local shop and labor is only going to cost me like $75.00 for them to put it all together. Have you ever heard of a chain tightening up on its own?

Last edited by 74demon; 05-10-2013 at 05:52 AM.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cheezum, while the shop is installing your chain and sprocket ask them to show you how to adjust the chain properly. Chain adjustment is something you'll end up doing on a regular basis so making sure you know how is a good start.

If you just got your bike, it's a good time to do all the fluids, adjustments..... so you know what you've got and have a good time point for maintenance. Good luck.

Old 05-10-2013, 02:57 PM

Im not really sure how to check all the fluids (except for the oil). Just a couple days ago i put brand new oil in the bike. I put like 1/3rd of this stuff call (Sea Foam) in the gas tank i hope it helps. That's really all i have done since I got the bike. Any suggestions on what else I should do?

Quick Reply: Chain or bearing problem? grinding and making a noise! PLEASE HELP!!