CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   CCT manual: APE vs Others (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/cct-manual-ape-vs-others-154151/)

Marc Xanatos 02-13-2016 04:46 AM

CCT manual: APE vs Others

Hi guys

Today I decided to buy one CCT manual cause mine have dead, or is close

I was looking in ebay the famous APE and I saw this other one, 1/2 less $$$

CNC Manual Cam Chain Tensioner Red for Honda CBR 600 F4 F4i 99 00 01 02 03 04 06 | eBay

any opinion? is better to install the ape one because this is worst?

thank you :):)

Mattson 02-13-2016 07:23 AM

It is essentially a lump of metal with a bolt going through. I`ve never heard a manual CCT fail, no matter what manufacturer. Basically the only thing that CAN fail is if you overtighten the securing nut stripping threads off the bolt. If the sealing surface that goes against the engine is even somewhat straight it shouldn`t matter if you made one yourself.

Conrice 02-13-2016 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Mattson (Post 1293622)
It is essentially a lump of metal with a bolt going through.

This.

Hell, a lot of people make their own.... Just make sure to use an o-ring around the bolt where it meets the housing to avoid oil leaking. It has one on there, but use a good one

Marc Xanatos 02-13-2016 04:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Googling I've searched different models

do you think is important how much bigger is "the head" of the tensor?

Attachment 88662

I don't know if one is better than other, ofc if I ask to sellers they are going to say me that their are better

the second is bigger and have less contact with the chain when is touching because is not a plane, like the first one, that all surface is touching the chain

thank you very much ;)

sjona2011 02-13-2016 04:52 PM

the bolt actually never, well Should never, touch the chain. It pushes against the guide that the chain rides on so the thinkness of the end shouldnt make a huge difference.

Mattson 02-13-2016 05:05 PM

^ That. It doesn`t make any difference as the the end will not be in direct contact with the cam chain itself. What matters is that you take the correct steps in fitting and adjusting the new manual CCT.

It goes around this:

-Remove the old CCT
-Wind the bolt of the new manual CCT back , to be sure wind it back all the way as it goes although it is not necessary
-fit the new manual CCT
-wind the bolt of the new manual CCT as far in as it goes with your fingers only. apply some force but don`t break your fingers.
-Start the engine. It will probably rattle like hell.
-Let the engine idle, wind the bolt of the manual CCT in enough for the rattle to end. Find the place where it stops rattling and then tighten anoter quarter turn.
-Tighten the securing nut while holding the main bolt in place.
-Refit fairings.

Marc Xanatos 02-13-2016 05:14 PM

thank you very much

I didn't know about this system, I dont know much about mechanic, but yes, I've read it in the manual service and is true, this bolt push another part that guides the chain :D

spo I think I am going to buy the cheaper, because I dont know why is the double the other, maybe pay the brand, i dont know

Thanks to Mattson for steps, thank you very much to all ;)

boredandstroked 02-15-2016 12:54 PM

The ebay one is a cheap chinese lump of metal. I'd spend the extra for piece of mind and to not support china.