F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

CCT! Chain is rattling like crazy!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 06:53 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CCT! Chain is rattling like crazy!

So I just got the bike and it has the 6k rattle. I did the quick fix thing and without removing the CCT, put in a longer screw & nut to lock it. I could hardly get more than my fingertips in there, so I had to use a wrench (which also barely had enough room to turn). Once I felt some pretty good tension, I backed off and tried to turn the screw to where it barely was hard to turn and then I tightened the nut. Well it all sounded good last night and for about the first 5 minutes on the highway, but after that the sound came back, and worse!

Now all the way from idle 'till like 5k RPM, the chain rattles like friggin' crazy and I'm now afraid to even move my bike. I live in a big apartment building with underground parking so I think I'm pretty screwed. I'll have to try and figure out a way to get the bike back home and it's my only transportation.

I'll admit I can't be sure exactly how much tension there was on the CCT piston and I did use a longer screw than 30mm. Anyone have any pics of how much thread/screw is left sticking out after doing this mod?

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-15-2010, 06:58 AM
Banned

PS I'm thinking It just needs more tension, what say you?

PS #2 Just realized that I did not re-install the crush washer either. ****.

Last edited by madman; 06-15-2010 at 07:00 AM.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:31 PM

I think people need to stop counting on a ghetto rig fix to cure an failed cam chain tensioner. Buy a new OEM or an manual APE one.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:37 PM

+1 replace it properly and ADJUST IT properly

Old 06-15-2010, 01:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed on both replies...

If the cam chain (not the tensioner) is rattling around bad enough where you can hear it you are running the risk of jumping cam teeth and seriously **cking up your motor.

Just curious where you got the idea to put a longer screw in the stock cctl?

Old 06-15-2010, 01:23 PM

I'd suggest you to buy APE manual tensioner and properly set the tension. I've got changed mine as well. Works great.

You can screw around with some things, but when it touches the engine I try to make sure that everything is perfect. Can't ride without it.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:30 PM

dude if your keep tightening it like that your going to do some serious damage. odds are its the actual cctl making the noise and not the cam chain itself. either get a new stock cctl or get the APE

Old 06-16-2010, 05:12 PM
Banned

I replaced the screw with a 6.0x1.0x30mm, adjusted the screw and it worked perfectly. I guess I had the previous one too tight or too loose. Seems the best way to adjust the CCT w/ the quick fix is to have the bike running while you adjust the screw and give it some gas to make sure it's not rattling anywhere in your RPM range.

This bike only has 3k miles on it and for the first CCT to already be bad, I don't want to buy another one only to have it die on me in a few months. The quick fix works fine.

PS I used this type of screw which made it much easier to turn with my fingers.

Last edited by madman; 06-16-2010 at 05:15 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:21 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by madman
This bike only has 3k miles on it and for the first CCT to already be bad, I don't want to buy another one only to have it die on me in a few months. The quick fix works fine.
3k and how many years?

Your bike is new to you, not New (unless you've spent the last few years driving to the end of the block and back). Between whatever use the original owner gave it and sitting for long periods of time with stale oil to bathe in, you don't think it might just have gone naturally? The person with the most miles on an F4i here has replaced his CCTL with the OEM (once I believe, twice at max). If its twice, then that's 2 CCTLs in about 180,000 miles.

2 bucks at Pepboys can cost you hundreds on Ebay. Or $50 on Ebay for a manual to fix it right

Old 06-16-2010, 09:59 PM
Banned

I suppose, although it seems from other forums, that this is a pretty legit fix that seems to work well.

Quick Reply: CCT! Chain is rattling like crazy!