F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

CBR600f4i help, exhaust fire!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 04:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CBR600f4i help, exhaust fire!

I have a 2001 CBR600f4i with 5,500 miles on it. It ran perfectly until it sat unridden in my garage for a year. Why did it sit? I have two children in diapers....but that's beside the point. The battery had died, so I replaced it with a new one and took the bike out for a spin. Yes, the gas was also one year old. I got about 3 miles from home when the bike started to sputter and misfire. Applying the throttle resulted in a rumbling feeling with mushy acceleration. Sensing a 3 mile walk home, I turned around and headed back to the garage...misfiring all the way. When I parked my very observant neighbor says, "Hey, your bike's on fire." Sure enough, I had about a 3 inch flame coming out of the exhaust. Simulataneously, the engine quit. I glanced at the temp gauge as I ran for the hose...."177." No obvious damage to the bike, but I'm a bit scared to try to start it without a firetruck nearby.

Any thoughts? Should I just take it to the shop or does anyone have an idea? Will new gas solve anything or did the old gas cause the problem? Should I try a fuel injector cleaning solution? Any help would be great. I am not a mechanic and beyond do it yourself oil changes, I don't usually do my own mechanic work. Thanks in advance!

Old 01-14-2009, 04:55 PM
Default RE: CBR600f4i help, exhaust fire!

I think it isthe old gasoline that is not burning cleanly. Try cyphoning out the old gas and adding new gas.Also, probably needs new plugs.That is where I would start. I am sure more tech savy members will post their thoughts. Good luck!

PS I am jealous you get to ride...it is below zero here

Old 01-14-2009, 04:59 PM

Thanks! Below zero, yikes! Current temp here in Southern California.....83.

Old 01-14-2009, 05:01 PM

Fuel Pressure Regulator. That's my guess at least.

Old gas won't do that. You have too much gas. Extremely rich condition. I've seen this happen before while tuning carburetors, if a vacuum line gets pinched, it dumps fuel in at a rate such that you can produce a good 10-12 foot flamethrower out your exhaust end.

You might also look for an airflow restriction. Like maybe stuff stuck in the airbox. That's a long shot though, it's more likely the FPR dumping fuel uncontrollably.

Old 01-14-2009, 05:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You sure santa didn't put some afterburners on your cr. rocket?

I'd suggest this:
wait to see if anyone else posts dire warnings about starting the bike again
see if any of them are remotely believable
siphon old fuel, put new fuel + seafoam.
that should fix it seems to be a case of gummed up gas which is burning late... if the plugs are fouled the problem might persist, you might have to run more seafoam/clean the plugs/replace them

Old 01-14-2009, 05:14 PM

Thanks weasel and amp.....probably try the new fuel/seafoam first. If that doesn't work, offto the shop to check the fuel flow......or I could keep the afterburners!

Old 01-14-2009, 05:18 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I second the fuel preasure regulator idea. After my bike sat for a while, it had the same problem. It was just DUMPING fuel. I never caught fire, but it mis-fired real bad and after riding it for a mile or 2 the pipe would be glowing red inside. That is bad. Even the cat would be glowing red ON THE OUTSIDE! I replaced the regulator and it has run perfect ever since!

Old 01-14-2009, 05:20 PM

How much did that cost to replace? Is that a "do it yourself" job or should someone with very little experience.....like me....take it to a mechanic?

Old 01-14-2009, 05:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hum, my opinion is that you need to have some mechanical experience to take this on yourself. You are gonna have to remove your tank and airbox and other stuff. I think maybe a mechanic is the way to go. The part is like, $70?

Old 01-14-2009, 05:46 PM

Thanks!

Quick Reply: CBR600f4i help, exhaust fire!