F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Cbr f4i 01 Steering Damper

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 05:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cbr f4i 01 Steering Damper

I would like to install this mod to my 01 cbr. Any Specs on this type of mod?

I was surfin, and found 2 type of steering dampers

Damper 1

Damper 2

Whats the difference? i was thinking with going with damper 2

Old 09-18-2006, 06:47 PM
Default RE: Cbr f4i 01 Steering Damper

I am in the market for one as well and everyone i have talked to said to get one that you can adjust (like the one in pic 2)...

Old 09-18-2006, 09:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Scotts like in pic 2, love it.

Old 09-18-2006, 09:44 PM

Why do you think you need a damper?

Old 09-19-2006, 12:29 AM

ORIGINAL: Blackdog F4i

Why do you think you need a damper?

I think I need a dampner. Its is better to have one and not need it than need it and not have one. Also I do some pretty hard cornering and powering out and i have had tank slappers happen to me before.

Old 09-19-2006, 01:43 AM

i have the ohlins damper like in the first pic, and you can adjust it as well by the way, plus i think it adds some flare to the apperance of the bike, the only thing is people who don't know anything about bikes always ask me what it is, they think it's some kind of lock or something.

Old 09-19-2006, 04:04 AM

02 F4i 10k miles. I was looking for a damper when I got this bike...why? becouse every else seemed to have one. Upon further research, I have found out that F4i's are infamous for not needing one!!
After many thousands of miles of twistys, I am still looking for that 1st tank slapper.

Old 09-19-2006, 12:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check your geometry. Also, ensure that you're not getting on the throttle too early, and that your tires don't break traction, enducing a near highside (aka tankslapper).

Old 09-19-2006, 05:01 PM

ORIGINAL: DThompson
I think I need a dampner. Its is better to have one and not need it than need it and not have one. Also I do some pretty hard cornering and powering out and i have had tank slappers happen to me before.
You may need to revise your riding style. I can come out of corners with the rear sliding and not have any slap. Damper or not, if you get the rear out and chop the throttle you are going to eat it.

I have gotten into tankslap when I have done something really stupid, but they are totally controllable if you don't freak.

A damper does not stop tankslappers it lessens them. A properly setup F4i is extremely stable. The money you are looking at dumping on a damper would be better spend on the suspension.

Lots of beginners get afraid of tankslappers, throw a damper that they don't really need on, then go do stupid crap because they think the damper will let them get away with it.

A damper does absolutely nothing for the amount of throttle you can apply exiting a turn.

When you start playing with suspension geometry, then you will need a damper. Everything you do to get better turn in lessens your straight line stability and increases the possibility of tank slappers.

Old 09-20-2006, 04:43 PM

I dont think its my riding position....I think its because the sprocket kit mainly that I have with more torque. I come out of corners pretty hard and the front wheel tends to lift as im am straightening out and sometimes will not be completely straight. I think its better to have one to help than not to have one in a bad situation.

If you want to get a dampner than get one. Dont let everyone tell you that you dont need it even if you dont. Its a safety precaution.

Quick Reply: Cbr f4i 01 Steering Damper