F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Can you fit a bigger battery on my f4i?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 03:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you fit a bigger battery on my f4i?

Was wondering if there was a battery that fit in the stock box but a little more
cold cranking amps. It's been low 30s and less for a couple weeks and my battery
is slow to crank it's only a year old charges fine, but if I make a bunch short trips sometimes it barely starts. Thanks Cary

Old 12-20-2013, 05:25 AM
"A"
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Healthy battery should hold the charge when stored in low temp for periods over weeks. If your battery is not holding charge between days in low temp., maybe that it has not been stoted /charged properly over the last year. Bigger, more capacity batteries are likely to weight more, significantly more, unless you go the LiFe lithium battery route, which is mucho $$$, and require specific charger.
Try to find a proper trickle charge rate for your current battery and see if you could revive it, if not, just get a normal replacement battery and use proper charge rate from the beginning.
My Chinese battery from 2008 is still holding charge normally between weeks in low temp. In the Northeast.

Old 12-20-2013, 06:22 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rd91si
if I make a bunch short trips sometimes it barely starts. Thanks Cary
Before I invested in a lithium battery I used to plug my OEM battery onto a trickle charger each day after I was finished riding. I had a pigtail on it, routed under the passenger seat. It was quick and easy to connect it to the charger.

You can find Battery Tender Jr trickle chargers for less than $20 if you do a bit of Google searching.

Old 12-20-2013, 05:30 PM

Cool thanks for the ideas, ride it daily don't have ant problems unless it's 30f or less.
I throw it on a charger once in awhile if I don't ride it, but if I'm off it over a week that is rare.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:20 PM

Well yes you can if any body else has similar problems,ytz14s fits .6in taller 1.6 lbs heavier
230cca vs 190cca with oem battery.

Old 12-21-2013, 10:42 AM

You might try looking at the bikemaster gel battery I've had it for a year now and its still running strong. I might start my bike once every two weeks and it has no problems starting without being on the charger.

Old 12-21-2013, 12:09 PM

My battery is about a year old, just cranks slow when cold. It's gotten warmer 40s+
starts every time I was just wondering for future reference. Thanks Cary

Old 12-22-2013, 09:08 AM
"A"
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadiJeff
Before I invested in a lithium battery I used to plug my OEM battery onto a trickle charger each day after I was finished riding. I had a pigtail on it, routed under the passenger seat. It was quick and easy to connect it to the charger.
Lithium batteries usually requires designate charge rate different than lead-acid batteries. Charging a lithium battery with charge rate of a lead-acid battery may reduce the life of the lithium battery and effect its capacity to hold charge.

Lithium batteries require less recharge between usage, usually 30 to 90 days between recharge. More frequent recharge than needed may also reduce the capacity of a lithium battery.

My $24 Chinese lead-acid battery from eBay have been on my bike since March 2008. Regular recharge through $5 Harbor Freight 12v battery charger every few weeks, it is still working well in the sub-freezing temps of Northeast. Even when it stays below freezing for few days in a row.

Last edited by "A"; 12-22-2013 at 09:12 AM.
Old 12-22-2013, 06:48 PM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by "A"
Lithium batteries require less recharge between usage, usually 30 to 90 days between recharge. More frequent recharge than needed may also reduce the capacity of a lithium battery.
That's why I began my post with "Before I invested in a lithium battery". I do not keep my Shorai lithium battery on a daily trickle charger.

Before I stored my bike for the winter I noticed it took longer to crank before starting in cooler weather. That's a characteristic of lithium batteries that I was aware of before I installed it. It doesn't matter because my bike usually gets stored in the basement from December until the following April.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:59 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by rd91si
if I make a bunch short trips sometimes it barely starts. Thanks Cary
This is what the problem is. Riding charges the battery. Warm engines crank easier then really cold. All things that should make it start easier, not harder. Check your charging system when you put the new batt in.