F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Burned taillight bulb AGAIN

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 08:37 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Burned taillight bulb AGAIN

I just replaced my taillight bulbs (both) less than 2 weeks ago. Yesterday I noticed that the left has burned out again. What's possibly causing my tail bulbs to burn out?

No other electrical is going out.
No fuses are burned

I have a spare bulb and will put that in, but I would like to find the underlying cause.

Suggestions?

Old 05-04-2008, 09:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Burned taillight bulb AGAIN

Check to see no water is getting into your tail light. Check the condition of your connectors to the tail light. Check voltage to the rear tail lights to make sure its where its supposed to be and not to high.

Then apply dielectric grease to the connector and hope for the best. Theres really no reason why bulbs blown out or don't blow out. My rsx has 143k miles and just last yr i replaced 2rear brake lights but the other too are still original.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:03 AM

Same problem here, I'm guessing its just cheap sh!tty bulbs. One burned out last year so I went to the local Honda dealer and got a new one. Installed it in the parking lot and when I turned the key it instantly went POOF!! I talked to the lead mechanic and he said it was a bad bulbunless thereis a short in the wiring, which is highly doubtful. Went back in and bought another one (they wouldn't replacethe one I just bought forfree) and that one worked fine. Now my otherbulb is out.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:49 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm thinking the vibration is killing that filament. Brake lights work fine.
I'm using Sylvania bulbs. Anyone have a brand suggestion?

Old 05-05-2008, 10:10 AM

Is it a stock tail light? If the fuse is to strong, it might be sending too much power to the bulb. You could try dropping the fuse size. I had to raise my fuse size for my headlight because the bulb was a higher watt and kept blowin the fuse.

Old 05-05-2008, 11:41 AM

You could melt the wiring harness with a higher amp fuse and higher wattage bulb. The fuse/wiring harness are all in conjuction. Don't ever change the rating of the fuse, too much amps and ull fry the wires, too little amps and **** wont work/be dim

Old 05-05-2008, 01:29 PM

thanks, ill have too keep that in mind. I was told a 15 wouldnt hurt instead of a 10 cuz my fuse kept blowin with my high beams on. Actually, does anyone have an idea why my headlight fuse blows if i start my bike with the highbeams on? i put a 15 amp fuse in it and it stoped doing it.....any thoughts on that? [sm=feedback.gif]

Old 05-05-2008, 06:51 PM
July 2008 ROTM

ORIGINAL: movi cbr

Is it a stock tail light? If the fuse is to strong, it might be sending too much power to the bulb. You could try dropping the fuse size. I had to raise my fuse size for my headlight because the bulb was a higher watt and kept blowin the fuse.
Fuse size would definitely not be the problem. The only thing a higher fuse would do is let more amperage go through it if there was an electrical short. Either way, the bulb would blow. If anything, a higher fuse size would do a lot more damage than good - it would allow the bulb to burn out quicker.

Regardless, there is another problem causing it. Either an electrical short, crappy bulbs, etc.

One thing you should not do is touch the bulb with your bare hands. The oils from your skin heat up and hurt the integrity of the bulb, thus shortening its life.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:53 PM

Sorry, think i confused some people, I meant put a smaller fuse in to see what it does. I was talking about the bulb blowin the fuse in myprevious post.

Old 05-06-2008, 01:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

or get an led tail light
should last forever

Quick Reply: Burned taillight bulb AGAIN