F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

break-in?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 10:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default break-in?

i have an 06 f4i and the manual is vague on any break-in procedure. how did you break your bike in? thanks.

Old 12-18-2006, 10:39 PM
Default RE: break-in?

Oh christ, this is going to be a big flame on here just like all the oil threads.

Well, some will say go easy, some will say run the hell out of it.
*I say run it easy, don't exceed 6-7000 rpms
*Avoid full throttle acceleration
*if cruising at a steady speed, down shift a gear or two to change the engine rpm regularly - change gears often
*don't exceed 70 mph

You basically want to have the rings get seated properly, along with wheel bearings, shift linkage, shift drum, main bearings, cam bearings, etc...do this for about 200-250 miles then it's good.

Change the oil at 250 miles and in the oil you'll find lots of metal shavings from machining processes at the factory - it's normal. Also check ALL torque specs ofEVERY bolt and nut you can find. Some will start to work loose a few ft lbs - no biggie.

Then run the hell out of it, it's good to go!

Old 12-18-2006, 11:59 PM

thanks dwhite. thats pretty much what i've been doing. running thru the gears quickly, varying the rpm as best i can, tho there's not a lot of room when you're trying to keep it in the 4-5000rpm range the 1st 600 miles or so. 600 miles can't come soon enough for me. i did my 1st oil change at 60 miles. taking off the right fairing to get at the oil filter wasn't as bad as i thought it was going to be. everything went back perfectly much to my amazement. i hand tightened the new oil filter tho and will probaly be able to take it off thru the front without having to take off the fairing. the f4i is a great bike and i think it will make the perfect little sport-tourer.

Old 12-19-2006, 12:18 AM

I am thinking about getting 2006 F4i. The dealer is offering me $2000 for my ninja 250 and asking me to pay $10k cash (addition to Ninja trade-in) for F4i, Taxes, registration, extended warranty, GAP, clear bra, and alarm. Is this a good deal? Thanks!

Old 12-19-2006, 12:20 AM

Yep, it's an awesome bike. Since you did the oil change at 60, I'm sure you got any manufacturing shavings out at that time. You can probably even go higher in rpm's, like 6-7k, but I wouldn't go much higher. I think it's safe after about 200-250 miles that break in is complete.
If you're good mechanically, do everything yourself at the 600 mile service ie oil change, lubing cables, checking torque specs, lubing chain, checking pinch bolts and axle specs,etc. I don't know for sure, but I'd bet the dealers charge like $300 for the 600 mile service, or at least close to it. I'm sure it's a rip either way.

Old 12-19-2006, 12:30 AM

ORIGINAL: mterada74

I am thinking about getting 2006 F4i. The dealer is offering me $2000 for my ninja 250 and asking me to pay $10k cash (addition to Ninja trade-in) for F4i, Taxes, registration, extended warranty, GAP, clear bra, and alarm. Is this a good deal? Thanks!
Hmmm, not really. The alarm is pretty worthless. If somebody wants your bike, they'll get it. Not sure what the clear bra is (I'm guessing static cling paint guard - if so, that's very inexpensive to order in sheet form), you'll most likely never use the extended warranty (although still possible), taxes is about $550 ish, registration is dirt cheap.
See, what they'll do is work the numbers around so it sounds like you're getting a good deal. If you were paying cash, the dealer saves money right there by not having finance charges.
Here's what I'd do: After trading in your 250 ninja, walk out without any of that other stuff and pay about $6k (assuming $1500-2k for the 250 ninja) which would ballpark it at about $8k total.

Old 12-19-2006, 12:38 AM

ORIGINAL: dwhite645

Hmmm, not really. The alarm is pretty worthless. If somebody wants your bike, they'll get it. Not sure what the clear bra is (I'm guessing static cling paint guard - if so, that's very inexpensive to order in sheet form), you'll most likely never use the extended warranty (although still possible), taxes is about $550 ish, registration is dirt cheap.
See, what they'll do is work the numbers around so it sounds like you're getting a good deal. If you were paying cash, the dealer saves money right there by not having finance charges.
Here's what I'd do: After trading in your 250 ninja, walk out without any of that other stuff and pay about $6k (assuming $1500-2k for the 250 ninja) which would ballpark it at about $8k total.
+1...even financed up the wazoo(cause ive got no cash, like, ever)...i paid about 9k for my bike, and that was earlier this year, so yours should b cheaper

Old 12-19-2006, 12:41 AM
Mad

I don't think that is a good deal. If I understand you correctly the bike is orginally priced @ 12k minus 2k for your ninja which brings it to 10k OTD (with taxes, reg, etc) I'd work em some more. If your paying cash then you've got some power..

Old 12-19-2006, 03:06 AM

12k is a rip...shouldnt be any more than 9k at most for an 06
________
Glass Pipe Pictures

Last edited by Brandon77; 04-09-2011 at 04:22 AM.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:19 AM

o god come on, break in is a break in. would u run ur brand new vette hard or would u want the seals to break in properly. u run it hard over time the seals are gonna go bad. a motor is a motor, run it hard compared to a safely broke in bike and well so whos is runnign better. ive seen this done with a friends, 2 of them bout brand new and one ran easy other ran hard as hell, throw on the dyno, hmm the motor than was broken in correctly made more power comapred to the one that wasnt. think about it like this, if u have money to throw away run it liek u stole it. it not liek alot of people on this board, be safe about it and give it time. lol id love to take mine out but shes given me some probs right now.

also ref ur 06 f4i, 10k way to much for it u should be gettign it for about 6k brand new with ur trade in unless ur getting alot of accessories but sense youve been riding u should only need a cover. negoitate with them cuz they want those f4i outta there since hondas are gonna be focusing on the RR's next season.as far as the clear film order that off internet and do urself its not that hard, i did it all myself on my car, the front bumper, front fenders and hood. if ya have any questions on it let me know. ill give u a website to order from and walk thru to it. no hard at all, save urself some money and get some other stuff.

and the price of it i just got mines for 8300 out the door with the cover for it. say u pay for taxes and registration in cash cuz u dont want to finance for something u pay for once, u can register at dmv within 30 days of buying. search around for it k

Quick Reply: break-in?