F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

brake Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008 | 01:22 AM
|
Default brake Upgrade

I was searching around and I really couldn't find what i'm looking for.

The stock brake setup is nice, but i would like to improve on the initial bit, and overall braking power. It just seems that for the amount of lever force i apply, the stock setup is lacking some punch.

So, i know usually the first set is a set of HP brake lines and pads. I would like to go with the speigler lines, so, what pads for street application with a possible trackday thrown in the mix?

However, when it comes to rotors, calipers, master cylinders, etc.... im clueless as i've never worked on a bike before. I found a rotor setup from galfer and i think a ebc setup, but i wanted to see from the trackday guys what they ran and what i may do to improve the efficiency of the stock system.

SO, IF MONEY WASN'T AN ISSUE, but within a certain level of reality, what would your dream brake setup be?

Old 02-27-2008 | 01:27 AM
Default RE: brake Upgrade

do what im going to do and upgrade to the 954 front and rear its a good upgrade and its cheap. get some galfer ss lindes and pads and notice a big diff. all and all maybe 300 for all if you get decent prices frm ebay. you will notice a big diff from stock

Old 02-27-2008 | 07:35 AM

Goodridge lines are very small in diameter offering more feel (firmer) at the lever but in reality........it would be VERY hard to beat a full Brembo upgrade.

http://www.indysuperbike.com/custome...930&page=1

That is by no means their top of the line but it would make a nice upgrade to any bike for a reasonable price.

I found that the MC was my issue with fading and mushy feel so Goodridge lines and a Brembo radial MC have remedied that little issue.
For pads.........Vesrah has some very nice pads out there now.....good initial hit with little fade. Good for street/track riding.

Old 02-27-2008 | 09:48 AM

for now...stock with SS lines will be fine for you at the track. once you get hardcore, then you'll want to start upgrading your MC.
stock pads and rotors and MC will be just fine until you reach super speed...but the stock lines will not be very good for track of any caliber.

Old 02-27-2008 | 10:12 AM

Last year I upgraded to Galfer lines. I still run either stock pads or EBC whichever I happen to get at the time. That's street or track. I get good consistent braking along with using Valvoline Syntetic brake fluid. Bleed often.

Someone posted up about a trick on repositioning the calipers. I will try it out and let you guys know, cause I probably change my pads too soon. I change pads when Iloose stiffness.

Old 02-27-2008 | 10:48 AM

my kinda-reasonably priced brake upgrade package:
Brembo MC 19x20
SS lines
Vesrah RJL or Ferodo Race pads

my cheaper version of the same thing:
1000rr MC
SS lines
Vesrah RJL or ferodo race pads.

i know exactly what you mean about the f4i's brakes lacking initial bite. imo, it's the weakest system on a very well rounded bike. not so big of a deal on the street, but annoying at the track. i know for sure that the 1000rr upgrade is plug n play, and improves feel alot. but, i think an 03-05 R6 MC would also be an improvement over the F4i's oem hardware, if you like the way the r6's lever pull feels (i do). as far as bite goes, i think pad choice will be the most immediate way of addressing that, and vesrah's are supposed to be the king of that. i'll tell you more once i test out my first set of RJL's this sunday.

Old 02-27-2008 | 04:35 PM

i upgraded my front brake lines last year to galfer SS. i didn't notice too much of a difference. i just recently upgraded the stock master cylinder to a brembo radial 19x18 and the difference is really noticeable. i'm not sure what brake pads are on since i'm not the original owner but i can only imagine the braking getting even better once those are replaced.

just keep in mind that if you do go the brembo route, you'll need to get a workaround for your brakelight. you can either get a fancy electronic brake switch that you hook up to the brembo or get the banjo-bolt w/ the integrated brake light switch.

Old 02-27-2008 | 05:30 PM

I just bought 954 front and rear calipers and SS lines off ebay from a guy parting out his bike for a grand total of 120 shipped. How much of a diff do you think I will notice without upgrading the master cylinder also?

Old 02-27-2008 | 05:39 PM

ORIGINAL: atr3yu baykor

I just bought 954 front and rear calipers and SS lines off ebay from a guy parting out his bike for a grand total of 120 shipped. How much of a diff do you think I will notice without upgrading the master cylinder also?
there should be some difference, but you might run into problems if the f4i MC doesn't push enough fluid for these calipers.

Old 02-27-2008 | 08:12 PM

ORIGINAL: atr3yu baykor

your gonna notice a good diff just make sure u get the 954 master cylinder and do not use the f4i master cuz it wont work properly. your brakes are going to have alot more bite with the 954's and the ss line

Quick Reply: brake Upgrade