F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Blinkers

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 11:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blinkers

i was riding last night and i went to turn left, well as i was turning left i noticed my blinker was on so i thought i forgot to turn it on before the turn, went to turn left again, and made sure i used the blinker, it blinked like 3 or 4 times then shut off by it self, the right blinker works just fine and stays on til i turn it off, but the left blinker will come on when i push left but it will turn off by it self, sometimes before i even make the turn, anyone else ever had this problem? any help would be great

Old 04-30-2008, 03:35 PM
Default RE: Blinkers

Never.....it sounds like something is wrong with the blinker button.

Old 04-30-2008, 05:05 PM

and its weird, i dont know if its a short but i went riding today and it would turn on til i hit my brake, then it would like cut out, could it be that something isnt connected right or what, but it like works when it wants to and sometimes it wont work at all, but before it would work at all, i changed the fuse because the fuse kept popping so i put a 20 fuse in there and now it works when it wants to, is it bad to put a bigger fuse in? i currently have a 20 and its suppose to have a 10 but the 10 fuse kept blowing

Old 04-30-2008, 07:34 PM

is it front or rear or both? actually, i don;t think it matters. I'm not possitive if each side is run off of its own fuse... if its just one fuse for eveyting then this theory is defunct...

Does the blinker stop as soon as you depress the brake lever, like enough to turn on the break light? or when you actually brake enough to slow the bike. If its the first option, i'm not sure, but if its the second, trace all of your blinker wires on the left side for small cuts in the insulation. it could be that every time you hit the brakes, the bikes movement may cause the wire to touch metal and short.

In short, more details are needed

also, are the blinkers aftermarket? did you do the install? did someone else?

Old 04-30-2008, 07:54 PM

well the person who owned the bike before me had installed flushmounts on the front but kept the stock in the rear, and i think they run off the same fuse, the brake light and the turn signals run off the same fuse, if i hit the blinker before i brake its fine, but obviously when your braking your not paying attention to the speedo and when i look down after the turn and nothing, i hope its not a major problem like a wire came loose or barely holding on, i dont have time to look until tom, i was just hoping someone had a similar problem, thanks for all the help

Old 04-30-2008, 09:41 PM

I would'nt put a 20A fuse in place of a 10A fuse. The fuse is obviously blowing for a reason and changing the fuse is not going to fix the problem. Fuses are put in place for safety reasons so when there is a problem, the cheap fuse willfry before you fry anexpensive wire harnesse or circuit. I dont know the cause of your problem but you should change the fuse before your problem gets worse.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:14 AM

When I had gotten my bike, the previous owner had already installed flushmounts, and some different ones in the back. I had occasions where my turn signal would blink really fast, some times it wouldn't work at all, and sometimes I'd work like normal. I found the problem was he had used crappy wire connectors, the kind you just clip over 2 wires sitting next to each othe. Not solderedor even just wire nutted. Maybe this is the first thing you checked, but make sure there's a good solid connection in the wiring, and not some half-assed setup the previous owner did.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:39 AM

thats why i asked. When i bought mine it had smaller blinkers, and i don;t trust any electrical work that i didn;t do mysef, so i tore it appart and re did it my way. it was a good thing cause the guy did a **** job. I'd say tear it apart and check for loose/ half-a$$ed connections first. and +1 to putting the old fuse back.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:10 PM

i took the the front off and sure enough the wires were poorly connect and they had to have been rubbing together to cause that cause i re connected them and electrical taped them and they work like a dream now, thanks for the help guys

Old 05-02-2008, 10:03 PM

good to hear they're working again. I am a fan of soldering my connections though. Just makes me feel a bit better. But if it works the way you reconnected them, great!

Quick Reply: Blinkers