F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

bit of a low idle and bogging?

Old 07-28-2015, 03:19 PM
Default bit of a low idle and bogging?

hey all, i have a 03 cbr600f4i with about 34k miles. first off i love the bike and it runs like a champ. however, when i first go to riding, i go about 1/4 mile throughout my neighborhood to a stop sign to wait to pull out and always at that stop sign, the bike struggles to maintain rpm's it drops to about 600-700 and sometimes will cut off if i dont blip the throttle or keep it revved to about 1200ish. Also as of lately, a few times when the bike is warm (over 200 while sitting in traffic) when i go to take off, it is bogging, and i could twist the throttle all the way and the rpms nor speed will adjust at all, and after about 5 seconds all of a sudden the power comes back and normally kinna throws me back a little bit. any ideas? also at high temps it struggles to keep the rpms up at idle also. but when its between 150-190 it idles perfectly.. i changed plugs less than 5k miles ago. (yes theyre the correct plugs and yes they were gapped correctly lol just to save questions and time)

Old 08-10-2015, 11:33 AM

I've got potentially the same issue on a 2001 f4i - bike has been perfect since I bought it in 2006. Bike has around 38k miles. My idle has been set around 1100 rpm since I had the bike. I drive maybe 2000 miles a year, mostly around town recently - short trips that only see maybe 5 minutes of full temperature riding, which is around 215 degrees.

The warmer the bike gets, the more I experience the low idle and shutdown. The bike always starts right back up. I can let the bike sit and idle for a while and it will sputter up and down periodically. When coming to a stop, especially after using the engine to slow down, the bike will putter and stop. I can rev the engine to keep it running when it starts to do this, but in some cases the minute I let go of the throttle she dies. In some cases when I start in to first I get a bit of fluttering.

The bogging mostly happens when I'm driving on flat or downhill, with the throttle set so I am just cruising - basically very low / no load. I'll notice some fluttering that cause the bike to lurch a bit.

I've tested the FPR by checking for gas leaks, no leaking. I've examined the airbox and air filter - it's a little dirty but seems fine. I haven't pulled any plugs yet. The battery is in decent shape. I am on the second tank now since the problem started. I added a few oz of "SeaFoam" to the 93 octane from Quicktrip - so far only been a few miles so we'll see if that helps.

Any feedback would be appreciated!