F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Bike wont start, need some help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006 | 02:30 AM
Default Bike wont start, need some help!

Hey everyone, I just replaced the exhaust on my bike back to stock and was goin to start it and noticed now fuel in the tank . So I remebered I had a container of fuel for my old bike for when I ran out so I got that and filled the tank. Well to my suprise turns out my mom had used that fuel for the weedwacker and now I have blueish fuel in my tank(the blue is oil). So I was wondering what would have to be done to get it up and running agian. The starter turns and the bike tried to start but was chocking and then died. I was thinking it was the contaminated fuel and wanted to make sure.

So my question was if all I had to do was to drain all the fuel out and put fresh in? Do I just have to drain the tank or do I need to drain something else out too? Also would I have to do anything else like new plug or anything like that?

Thanks
Adam

Old 09-25-2006 | 02:39 AM
Default RE: Bike wont start, need some help!

Whoops! Yeah, drain the tank, siphon out as much as you can then fill it all the way with new, non two stroke gas. It might smoke for a little bit once started though.

Old 09-25-2006 | 11:34 AM

So do I only have to empty out the tank or do I need to empty out all the lines too? Also do I need to change the fuel filter or the spark plugs?

Old 09-25-2006 | 12:52 PM

do exactly what dwhite said! drain as much as you can and fill it up with new gas.... and how long did it run on the mixed gas? if not too long then your plugs should be fine.. but you will find out once it fires again..

Old 09-25-2006 | 02:39 PM

Alrighty I will do that. I kept trying to start the bike before I knew what had happened and now it wont even turn over, I am think the plugs are gone too.

Old 09-25-2006 | 03:41 PM

Not positive about fuel injected bikes, but I've run 2 stroke mix in fuel injected trucks, my carbed bike, no issues. it normally isnt an issue, unless you've got a 50/50 mix of oil and gas. more likely, the fuel you used was stale. you can typically tell because fresh gas has a sharp smell to it, stale gas has a dull old smell like varnish.

Old 09-25-2006 | 08:48 PM

Well I got rid of the old gas and put some fresh stuff in. It trys to fire but thats it, still wont fire all the way. I am gonna try new plugs, since they need to be changed anyways. You guys have any other suggestions? Also I noticed that the clock keeps reseting on the bike, which I think that means the the battery is low, could that be the reason for it not starting? cuz the starter turns, just wont fire up. Also if that is the problem how do u jump start a bike, never doen it before.

Old 09-25-2006 | 11:35 PM

Try checking the batt connections make sure they are tight, F4i dont run with lose batt connections!

Old 09-25-2006 | 11:51 PM

Yes, Sounds like the battery is low.

You can try to push start it, but I would just throw a charger on it and change the plugs.

Old 09-26-2006 | 12:35 AM

just so you know, if you DO choose to jump start it, make sure the vehicle motor is NOT RUNNING. when the engine is running on a car, it puts out more voltage than a bike electrical system is designed for, which can do "wonderful" things to your charging system.

if your battery is weak, or the connections are loose or corroded/dirty, it may not fire well. also check to ensure the connections at the plugs are good and clean too. dirty and fouled plugs will cause spark to be weak and not adaquate to make the fuel ignite.

just some fuel for thought.

Quick Reply: Bike wont start, need some help!