F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

bike won't start after replacing stator cover

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2005, 01:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bike won't start after replacing stator cover

couple facts.. i dumped the bike and my stator cover got scratched a bit. bought a brand new OE cover. i've never done this before, i just go in and see how it comes apart and put it back together.

when i took the cover bolts out and broke it loose from the gasket, some oil started to pour out.. so i tightened 4 points back down and drailed all the oil out of the engine into a pan. then i put the drain plug back on and took the 4 bolts off the stator cover. a little more oil came out, i'm guessing all in all about 1/4th of a quart came out of that area.

anyways, i got the cover off, swapped the alternator coil over in the same position and reassembled w/ some liquid gasket/seal. put the oil back in the engine and then like a tard, i put all the fairings back on w/out doing a test start. well now, i go to start, and the relay clicks, doesn't try to turn over.... battery is dead. so against my owner manual's discretion, i get some cables from my car to my bike (as i have done before) and try to jump start it. won't start, it does try to turn over, but only 1 - 1.5 times every time i hit the ignition button. do i need to put some oil in there somehow?

was supposed to go on a ride with some coworkers tonight but now i can't cause my bike won't start.. hopefully someone can come up w/ a solution asap. thanks in advance.

Old 09-17-2005, 06:01 AM
Default RE: bike won't start after replacing stator cover

i say that it's toasted(the battery i mean)

Old 09-17-2005, 06:07 AM

yeah but wouldn't it still start if jumped to my car?

Old 09-17-2005, 06:38 AM

did u get a good connection on it?? cuz i tried jumping it from a battery charger box and it does the same even with good connection..it might be giving too much power causing it to not turn over...

Old 09-17-2005, 06:39 AM

oh even if it does start....with the battery dead it would die right way once u unhook it from the jumper

Old 09-17-2005, 07:12 AM

ok, well i took the stator cover off again. put a thicker layer of 'gasket maker' on there and now i got it to turn over and go down the street by jump starting it w/ my car.

my problem is now, if i turn the bike on... let it run for a minute or so. then turn it off, it turns back on right away. now, if i shut it off and again and try to turn it on a 3rd time it doesn't start... i have to jump start it again. how much are new batteries, i think i should invest in one.

Old 09-17-2005, 07:55 AM

I paid about $65 for one at cyclegear

Old 09-17-2005, 06:02 PM

it's about $70-$120

Old 09-17-2005, 06:41 PM

guess that's another thing that i have to order.. i called pepboys and a couple places around here and they want to sell me one for $39, but its not sealed, and he says i have to fill it.

Old 09-18-2005, 07:51 AM

it has to be a seal battery...i went trough the same thing....pepboys, autozone, kragen/checker and they don't even have the right ones....they keep claiming that they have it but when i went to go get it ...it didn't even come close....i was able to get one from a yamaha dealership for $70, after tax it can out to be about $75...i suggest calling around dealership and they ask them for a battery.
make sure it's a YTZ10S...the R6 and some other bikes takes the same battery depending on year...

Quick Reply: bike won't start after replacing stator cover