F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Bike starts but dies when in Gear?????

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 05:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike starts but dies when in Gear?????

I can start the bike in nutral but it as soon as i put it the 1st gear it shuts down. is it possible that my kick stand switch went bad? I did not do anything to the bike for the past 3 weeks it was just standing in my grage. Or is there something else? I also tryed starting it in first gear it wont do it it only starts in N.

Old 12-04-2008, 05:32 PM
Default RE: Bike starts but dies when in Gear?????

I seriously sat in my garage one night, started the bike prolly like 20 times and it keep dieing when i would put it in first gear. Then after like an hour, I forgot about that switch lol. I suppose it could be possible that that switch could go bad just like any other switch. Only feasible explanation that I could think of since it doesnt die until you put it in gear. Chain over tightening will do the same thing wont it?(but you didnt say anything about the chain)

Old 12-04-2008, 05:58 PM

Its posssible the the kickstand is not going up all the way, I have seen this happen and causing the bike to die. Like you said, like any time of switch they can go bad. I don't know if there is a way to bypass that switch or sensor or not. Let us know what you do to fix this.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:16 PM

I actually had to by pass the switch on my old F4i cause i had the same problem. So i might do that this weeked. I've heard that thats one of the problems that f4i has that it will fail on you just like that.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes you can bypass it and yes it sounds like the problem. If you do bypass it just always check to make sure you have the stand up. When I was younger I once forgot on an older bike that didnt even have the switch but it just about slammed my on my face.

Old 12-06-2008, 01:35 PM

How do you by pass it? Its been a while since i did on my old f4i. i remember a bit but dont wanna fuss with it allot.

Old 12-06-2008, 04:16 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wouldn't it be easier to simply replace the switch ~ it's on there for a reason.

Old 12-06-2008, 04:51 PM

Kickstand sensor like everyone else has mentioned. Seems like the only logical conclusion

Old 12-07-2008, 01:49 PM

Wouldn't it be easier to simply replace the switch ~ it's on there for a reason.
I will replace it but untill i find one I wanna by pass it. From what I remember is that you bridge those two wires so you have a constant circuit right?

Old 12-07-2008, 10:09 PM

Closed means it will run, and open means it will die....Just close the circuit. Twist the 2 wires together and you should be fine...Also keep in mind that the PLUG where the KS switch plugs into the bike can go bad (causing the circuit to always stay open). So IF you bypass on the kickstand side of the plug and it still acts the same way. Try bypassing on the bike side of the plug and see if that fixes it.....=-)

Quick Reply: Bike starts but dies when in Gear?????