F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

bike running poorly

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 05:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: bike running poorly

Fuel Pressure Regulator.,..that bast#$d. After replacing everything possibleair, fulefilters, plugs and oil, gas and a couple of bad hoses, turns out as soon as i put the new FPR on things ran incredible. ran all weekend and the thing never stumbled or hesitated. my advice is to never let them set longer than a month without running them for awhile. if you purchasea 2002that has been setting for more three years with only 800 miles just change it before you do anything else. OUT

Old 10-27-2008, 05:53 PM

amen, if u buy a used fuel injected bike and think:

'wow, this bike has really low miles for a 200*!'

save yourself some heartache, and when your buying oil and filter for that first oil change since your not sure when the last dick did it, order a FPR so your not sitting in your garage for 2 weeks looking at a stripped down bike.

Old 10-27-2008, 06:54 PM

why is it that no matter how common this problem is, NO BODY STOCKS THIS PART!!!!!

Old 10-27-2008, 07:47 PM

FPR is a very common problem on the 01-03 F4i's. Hell yeah i agree when u buy a used one and do the oil change, fluid change...Go ahead and change the damn FPR while your at it. I have a spare FPR just for the *** of it. Never know when that POS might go out....=-)

PS: 929/954 FPR will also work on the F4i. I've changed a few buddies FPR's with those, and they work great....=-)

Old 10-27-2008, 08:46 PM

One more question,

My bike is stock exept for the Two Bros exhaust and a K&N air filter.

Do I need to spend the bucks on a Power Commander or is it not required in order for the bike to run right?

Old 10-27-2008, 09:36 PM

Nah, I have a Two Bros and a K & N and I don't have a power commander. It runs just fine. Save your money.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:47 PM

Alright. FPR finally came in today. I was sitting in the garage waiting for him. Slapped the new one in, sat the tank down, turned the key on, turned the key off, raised the tank, plugged in the fuel pump, lowered the tank, turned the key on, cycled twice to purge the fuel system and check for leaks, hit to started and KICK ***! She lit right off and purred like a kitten. The exhaust smelled clean. I let her warm up while I finished putting the rear cowl and seats back on, etc, etc.

The engine is very responsive and smooth at all RPM's.

Thanks to the new airbox, the annoying buzz/rattle is gone, and all is good. This is the best the bike has ran since I bought her.

I was missing some of the rubber nuts used to mount the cowl to each other and to the tank, etc. I found a wind screen bolt kit at the bike shop for 10 bucks. Not exact, but will work perfectly.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:59 PM

another FPR issue solved. When in doubt, FPR lol. Mine works fine (for the most part) and i'm replacing it on friday.

Old 11-04-2008, 09:30 PM

Ok I read the insulation thread so +1 on insulation

Old 11-08-2008, 12:52 PM

There is what looks to be a filter on the return line that mounts to the frame... My 03 has it... +1 on fuel pressure regulator... my was doing the exact same thing and i pulled a vacuum line off of it, and its just pouring...in ten minutes or so, it would pour out almost a pint... Cuz we ran the bike with it unhooked and it quit smoking and missing and revved like a dream... so i'd guess thats ur problem

mine would run like **** at a constant rpm, going 60 or so, but i could rape it and it would come alive and run good... And i would get strong exhaust fumes from it...Cuz it was running rich as hell...good luck

Quick Reply: bike running poorly