F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

bike running poorly

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 08:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: bike running poorly

Where is the fuel filter? I didnt see it when i had the tank propped.

I have done some reading up on the FPR. Seem to make another issue I am having make sense. Here it is, When the bike sits for extended period of time, 12 hours or so, when i try to start it, it will turn over maybe 1 revolution, then seems to lock up. I thought weak battery or starter but if the FPR is leaking fuel back to the engine through the vaccuum line, it could be causing hydrolic lock?

I gonna call around for a regulator tomorrow. Since it will be at the shop within the next few day getting the new air box, and the rear end lowered I might as well let them install it since they will already be in the right area....

Thanks a million everybody, and I will post up when I know something.......

-Will

Old 10-22-2008, 08:35 PM

Cool Will, Check back bro! 90% sure that's your problem.Keep us posted man!

FLY

Old 10-22-2008, 09:00 PM

i don't think our bikes come with a fuel filter (except for the sock in the tank). and if you pull the vac line to the fpr, gas will usually come out if its bad.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:17 PM

Plus I don't think a crack in the air box will do anything. Where is the crack at? In front of or behind the air filter? If the engine is sucking in un-filtered air, replace it. If not, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:02 PM

Did u check your flux capacitor? You could be low on plutonium. lol

Old 10-23-2008, 12:36 PM

here's the spec sheet to check that.

Name:  flux.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  5.1 KB

Old 10-23-2008, 01:38 PM

The crack in the airbox is after the filter. I caulked up the crack to prevent sucking up non filtered air. I ordered the FPR and O-ring from Ridenow.com this morning. Now i just have to be patient, which isn't one of my strong suits. I guess it not gonna hurt it to keep riding it till the parts get here, it just burns more gas and sounds crappy, and the occasional issue where to starter wont turn the motor over after it sits over night. Would it hurt to plug the vaccuum line from the FPR, if thats where it is leaking, and run it like that for a week or two? How much does the pressure change when engine vacuum is zero?

I called 3 relatively close honda dealers as well as a handful of shops in town, and nobody has the parts on hand....

Old 10-23-2008, 02:12 PM

patience my young padawan

Old 10-23-2008, 04:24 PM

ORIGINAL: wwarnke

and the occasional issue where to starter wont turn the motor over after it sits over night.
hydrolocked? Maybe? Any fuel in the oil?

Old 10-24-2008, 06:51 PM

Ok, FPR on order, new air box on hand, fresh oil and filter on hand. FPR will ship in 4-7 days they say, so I should get it around January.

I pulled the oil filler cap and gave it a sniff, and I think i found all the fuel I was loosing and causing the engine to hyrolock. I couldn't wait, and I had some time to kill, so I pulled the seats, air inlet covers, loosend the side fairings, removed the *** end fairing, propped the tank, removed the busted air box, got nervous, tied off the propped up gas tank, removed the FPR, proceeded to drain the fuel rail and entire tank down onto the engine, put the FPR back to stop the leak, pulled the return line from the FPR and commenced to train the tank on the engine again, got a gas can and drained the tank as far as i could using the return line which is infront of, therefore higher than the fuel pump. Removed the FPR again and drained fuel rail onto engine and a rag while looking for something to plug the hole in the rail where the FPR mounts, rolled up some silicone tape into a cone and shoved into hole to prevent draining the rest of the tank. Still nervous about the tank being propped up, so I took some electrical tape and wrapped and wrapped some more the prop rod so it doesn't move.

Did I leave anything out? I opted not to read the repair manual since there was a lot of jumping from section to section to section just to get to the regulator....so i made this step by step for everyone....

Where I am now:

FPR definately shot, leaking like crazy past the diaphram.
The crank case is full of gas/oil mixture

I guess i should wait on the oil change till i get her back together, what oil yall use? I got Castrol 4T motorcycle oil, it meets the specs in the OM. I also got a WIX filter, thats what i ran on all my hot rods.

Also, come go time, should i worry about any small amount of fuel that is sitting in the cylinder, or just change the oil and go with it?

Quick Reply: bike running poorly