bike needs tune up...

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 09:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bike needs tune up...

where do i start? just looking to do a tune up not an overhaul

Old 09-07-2015, 12:09 AM

Check and if needed, replace the plugs. Change the oil and filter with a reputable oil. There are many people who will chime in on the type. Do a good inspection of the chain and sprockets. Check the condition of your coolant. Flush if necessary. Check your tire pressure, for abnormal wear, or a damaged tire (should be done before riding anyways). Clean your air filter well. Be a good time for a K&N if you haven't already got one.

This is round-a-bout what I do for my tune ups. I did all of this as soon as I bought my bike. Doing it again once she is fixed.

How many miles are on her?

Old 09-07-2015, 08:25 AM

just changed the oil and filter, i should probably do the plugs soon any diy out there? cleaned the chain real good and lubed her up twice, air and tires are still good i have her on stands when not riding, need an air filter most likely, i got 21k miles on her

Old 09-07-2015, 08:56 AM

Any what out there? It's good you keep her on a stand. Mine stays on a rear stand. I seen a noticable change when I put on the K&N filter, granted my old one was very, very, dirty. With 21k on the clock, if it hasn't been done yet, check the valve clearances. If you have moderate mechanical knowledge, it is very simple to do.

Do you have a service manual for your ride?

Old 09-07-2015, 09:02 AM

diy for the spark plugs, I'm sure mine is really dirty too :/ i wish i had a manual i thought i came across one but turned out to be owners and the only service ones i could find were for 01-03

Old 09-07-2015, 09:06 AM

Pick you up a Haynes manual. Honda CBR600F4 Shop Service Manual Book CBR 600 F4 Bike | eBay
Thing has saved my tail time and time again.

The plugs aren't to bad. I'm not 100% sure on the FI bike. Mine is carb'd but from what I can tell, they're not to awful lot different. I pull the air box off and use 2 small extensions and 2 angle joints to get them out. I've heard of people pulling the radiator loose to go in from the front. I've not done it that way. Airbox is easier. Make sure your spark plug socket has the rubber ring inside it. Don't wanna drop a plug, or crack one of them babies!

Old 09-07-2015, 09:13 AM

yea most definitely i had a kn oil filter on mine and that damn thing wouldn't come off no joke i had to take unhinge the radiator and take off the exhaust and use some pliers to get the damn thing off simple 15 min job took about hour and a half was ticked, but yea ill look into getting a manual since this will start being my more daily driver I'm getting a 1000 real soon just gotta finish paying it off before i can actually use it jaja

Old 09-07-2015, 09:25 AM

I've not had problems with oil filters so far. I may upgrade to something bigger later. Right now, I'm content with my 600!

Old 09-07-2015, 09:28 AM

yea I've never had any issues either maybe i tightened it just a tad bit too hard last time? idk but yea it blew taking it off, don't get me wrong i love my 600 but also want more speed so upgrade it is

Old 09-07-2015, 09:41 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

At 21k, you're just about at the point to check the valve clearances.

Don't forget about the brake fluid, fork oil, and coolant. These should be done yearly, even if it doesn't see the road much. Every few years, replace the fuel filter. Our fuels can be really dirty and filters catch it before it gets to the injectors and plugs them up.

Some cable lube as part of periodic maintenance never hurt either.

Quick Reply: bike needs tune up...