F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

bike keeps turning off- PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 08:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bike keeps turning off- PLEASE HELP!

so here's the story, I went to Mexico on a nice vacation on Wednesday. I left my baby in my garage working perfect. This morning I go to start it and go to work, except there was something funky going on with Neutral, the light wouldn't go on even when I was in neutral, and sometimes it would just turn off. I am super POed but I get to work anyway. After a ****ty day at work, I get back on my bike, everything is fine, I am elated. but after a couple blocks, everytime I come to a stop, my bike turns off, it will only stay on when I keep some throttle on it, but the second I let go of the throttle in neutral, bike turns off. I have no other form of transportation, and I have no idea what's wrong. Please help! Thank you.

Old 09-11-2007, 08:49 PM
Default RE: bike keeps turning off- PLEASE HELP!

Yea, i had the same problem once.Ii did not use the bike for a month and after I started up it would only stay on if i hold the throttle.
What i did was, I put some fuel injector cleaner and rode to the gas station. Then I got some fresh gas and took the bike on to the highway. After few exit I got off, tested the bike by turning it off and on and letting off the throttle. Everything worked just fine.

However, at that point I couldnt tell whether it was clogged injectors or weak battery. Tell you the truth, I really think that it was the battery and it needed a good 15 minute ride to charge up. I hope this helps.

Old 09-11-2007, 09:02 PM

The thing is, when the bike turns off, the headlight and the display are still on. Plus, the bike cranks on the first push. I am going to try and do the same thing tomorrow, thanks.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:38 PM

I tried the exact same thing you said, and no luck. I am so frustrated, I need my bike! Please help guys.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:59 PM

what is your idle speed?
make sure that it is over 1500 rmps

Old 09-12-2007, 10:14 PM

There could be a couple of issues here. Your battery could be dead and a push start will get you going,but you stator (also known as an alternator) is going bad and is not charging the battery. The voltage regulator could be bad and that could also be causing your electrical issue. There is enough power to turn on the lights and guages, but not enough to keep you going. Start with the battery and work your way from there.

Old 09-13-2007, 12:30 AM

the thing is, when the bike turns off, I'll push the starter, and it will try to start but wont unless I roll the throttle a bit. I am beginning to think it might be the fuel pump, but it does prime when I turn the key every time. Anyone know how much a fuel pump costs? how hard is it to change yourself?

Old 09-13-2007, 11:12 AM

If the neutral light is not coming on when in neutral I would check the neural safety switch. Or even side stand switch. With the way it starts right back up I wouldn't think battery or stator.

Old 09-13-2007, 12:08 PM

the way i understand this is, your bike starts up. it works while you ride and higher rpms and it dies out when you come to a stop. sounds to me like idle issue.
before you change the pump, just increase your idle speed with the idle ****. if you bike does not stay on when you idle speed is all the way up then you might have a fuel intake issue.

Old 09-13-2007, 12:53 PM
I ♥ CBRF

Its your battery. Had the same problem. There wasenough juice to start and light everything up but not keep idle at a stop. I had to keep agood rev to prevent stall like you.But likeStephens said it could be another part of the charging system.

Quick Reply: bike keeps turning off- PLEASE HELP!