F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Bike hard to turn and FI light stays on (02 F4i)

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 11:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike hard to turn and FI light stays on (02 F4i)

It steers fine but when I turn it doesn't seem it turn to easy. It doesn't pull to one side or anything. My tire isn't the best in the front but that shouldn't cause the turning problem right? It has some tread left. What could be the cause of this along with the FI staying on. Mechanically she runs fine. Had it checked out yesterday but forgot to ask about the steering, he suggested I leave the FI light alone since nothing is wrong with the bike itself.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:20 PM
Default RE: Bike hard to turn and FI light stays on (02 F4i)

If the gas tank was taken off there is a wire that hooks up the tank to some sensor. That will keep a F1 light onif not plugged back in. I found out when I put in a K & N air filter.

Old 06-05-2008, 03:04 PM
WOT

Dude, when you say turn, do you mean standing still you are trying to turn the bars or do you mean it doesn't lean in easily when you are riding? If your tires are old, new tires would most likely solve the lean in problem.

Old 06-05-2008, 03:29 PM

the tire pressure could be checked too!

Old 06-05-2008, 03:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was thinking same thing, but he said steer....I was thinking geometry, except he said it steers well. So I don't have a clue what he's describing. More details.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:22 PM

The handle bars are hard to turn period is what I should say. When I get on the bike and straigten the handle bars to pull off it takes more effort then it should. So it doesn't have to do with the tires. The pressure was checked a few days ago and is fine. So anytime I turn the handle bars it takes some effort which is why I used steering/turning as an example. And I'm a girl by the way, no he here.

Old 06-06-2008, 11:52 AM

Tight to turn bars mean tight steering head bearings. (assuming no crash damage)
Otherwise I'd say you have an aftermarket damper cranked too high.

Old 06-06-2008, 11:59 AM
WOT

Whoops, sorry Dude-ette!

Check your tire pressue and that the front isn't really flat in the middle, that would cause this problem... and yeah if you have a damper that would most likely be your "problem" but these bikes don't comes with one so I doubt it.

To check your steering head... hold your front brake and rock the bike to compress the suspension a few times and listen... if you hear any clunks, your steering head is F'd up....

Old 06-06-2008, 01:26 PM

Oh, and ........get a new mechanic. An FI light indicates something isn't right. The ECU will throw a code if put into diagnostic mode. Any basic wrench will know that and will get that solved quickly. Better fix it now than down the road when it causes another issue.

Old 06-09-2008, 04:31 PM

ORIGINAL: Stephens

If the gas tank was taken off there is a wire that hooks up the tank to some sensor. That will keep a F1 light onif not plugged back in. I found out when I put in a K & N air filter.
The shop told me that was it. Thanks.

I think the bike over heats though, got up to 242. We will see what they say about that and the steering. I may just be weak. And against everyones opinion I did get the back lowered a little under 3.5 in. It doesn't scrape at the bottom, I'll get the front lowered equally or maybe 2 in. tomorrow. Wish me luck on my bikes full inspection.

Quick Reply: Bike hard to turn and FI light stays on (02 F4i)