F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Bike Don't Start

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 04:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike Don't Start

Anybody know what the connector coming off the ECM in the picture is for? I never noticed it before, but was wondering if it is supposed to be connected to something (I can't find any mating piece anywhere).
My bike suddenly won't start. It was sitting for a couple months, but I started it a few times and the last time was about 2 weeks ago (with no problems). The battery died so I charged it. I tried starting it before it was fully charged and it started, but struggled, sputtered, and died. I continued charging the battery, but now it doesn't start at all. The fuel pump primes, when I turn the key on, and the battery is strong now, but it doesn't fire up at all. I don't know if this means anything, but while trying to start it, if I turn the throttle, there is a low pitch rumble noise. Any ideas, please throw your 2 cents in.... THANKS!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/2260/404D18D682BE4BEC85B654F9D6CE5BD2.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-28-2007, 09:52 AM
Default RE: Bike Don't Start

That connector is the "Service Check Connector." You short the two contacts to read the ECM's self diagnostics data (download the service manual and see page 5-6).

As far as your starting problem it almost sounds like a flooded enginethat resulted infouled plugs. Pull your plugs and at the very least dry them out. Better yet would be to replace the plugs all together. Be sure to have a full charge on the battery before you try to crank it over or you may very well foul the plugs again. Leave the throttle alone when starting.

Old 02-28-2007, 11:23 AM

dont rely on your battery too much, i have learned that motorcycle batteries are a joke... try starting the bike with a "new" battery before troubleshooting any further. if it was your battery, i highly recomend you purchase a battery tender that you can hook your battery up to during riding down time.

let us know what happens.

Old 02-28-2007, 01:21 PM

I also think its the old battery. Same thing happened to me. I tried to charge the battery and it seemed fine to me but yet the bike was struggling. Once I put in the new battery all those issues went away.

Old 02-28-2007, 02:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That connector is for debugging with FI light codes... it's usually left hanging as you see. I almost got a heart attack when I first saw it

When you press the start switch, do the dash lights dim? If so it's your battery. Charge it a full 4-5 hours or get a new one.

Also, turning the throttle might not help since the bike's fuel injected anyway.

If the engine is turning over, means it's not fluid locked (from the rumble when you turn the throttle).

A last thing to try is to turn up (clockwise) the idling screw a bit. The ONLY time my bike died was when this over-enthusiastic dude at the dealership turned the idling down right after starting the bike... so when the bike warmed up it died.

Old 02-28-2007, 02:22 PM

had the exact same problem, fouled plugs, took them out cleaned them, fired right up

Old 03-10-2007, 08:31 PM

thanks for all the responses! I finally got around to doing more work on the bike. Here's what I did and the result:

1) Fully charged the battery - made no difference.
2) Replaced the plugs - they were dirty and a little wet, but this change also made no difference.
3) Checked the ECM error codes - no flashes occurred, so I just learned some things that is not the problem, but of course, still no starting.
4) Re-checked the fuses - all look good.
5) Double-checked that there is gas - about half tank in there.

Can anyone think of other things that I could check? It must be something with the fuel delivery?? But not sure cuz i never had this problem before... Thanks for anymore suggestions...

[&:]

Old 03-11-2007, 12:14 AM

gdub, try to jump it off a car (with the car off) if it starts up your battery is fried! even tho the battery tender might say its fully rechared the acid's in the battery probably are sleeping.

Old 03-11-2007, 02:53 PM

yea, i did try that also already (forgot to mention that in my list)... the fuel pump primes before starting also... i don't know what else to check.... something must have happened the last time it started, then sputtered and died... it didn't just cut off and die, but struggled and then died, and never has started since...

- at a loss [sm=helpout.gif]

Old 03-13-2007, 04:12 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your bike needs fuel, spark, and compression to run. take out a plug and turn her over. make sure you are even getting spark from it. If they were wet its safe to assume your fuel delivery is fine but maybe no spark. Assuming your head gasket and everything is fine with compression, no engine codes..all the sensors are ok, get a new battery and make sure your plugs are firing.

Quick Reply: Bike Don't Start