F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Bike Cranks But Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 05:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike Cranks But Won't Start

I'm new here so hopefully I'm putting this in the right place and there isn't a thousand threads on this already, but...

I have a 2006 cbr600f4i and it won't start. I left it outside for a few days and it rained for a while. When I tried starting it, it would crank but it wouldn't start. I read somewhere that if you just keep cranking it, eventually it should blow something out, but I cranked until the battery died with nothing happening. I replaced the fuel in case water got in, still nothing. I replaced the spark plugs, still nothing. I sprayed starter fluid into it in case something was going on with the fuel line and it didn't do anything. I checked the battery and r/r, both are fine.

Anyone know what else could be wrong? I'm getting tired of tearing the motorcycle apart but I also really don't want to get a tow truck and then pay an ungodly amount of money for the shop to tell me it's something dumb.

Old 05-28-2019, 11:47 PM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you tried a spark plug test,will the pump prime?

Old 05-29-2019, 08:36 AM

The spark plugs I took out were pretty grimey so I didn't bother checking if there was spark, and then I put the new ones in and didn't think to check them, so I'll do that next.

And the fuel pump is that high pitch sound when you turn the keys in the ignition right? If so then yes it's priming

Old 05-29-2019, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator

Right then you will have to see if your getting a spark on the plugs, it could be numerous things like sensors , relays and switches but you have to start somewhere

Old 05-29-2019, 12:18 PM

When I check plugs, should I do them one at a time or is it ok to take them all out and do them all at the same time? Also, I know you're just supposed to touch the plug to a metal part of the bike but is there a most preferable spot? I don't want to accidentally short something by electrocuting it

Old 05-29-2019, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

I'd take them all out just in case the bike starts, touch them to the engine block or the frame will do, but keep your fingers out of the way

Old 05-30-2019, 09:33 PM

Well I'm getting a spark on each plug. Now what?

Old 05-30-2019, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator
Received 310 Likes on 254 Posts

With the plugs in, does it fire at all? In other words you say it cranks, but is there any combustion at all?

Old 05-30-2019, 10:38 PM

If I crank it for a really long time, sometimes it sounds like it might want to catch a little bit, but it doesn't last long or come even close. When I sprayed starter fluid in it, it cranked a little faster but it went back to normal after about a second

That's not a super technical response but hopefully that answers your question

Old 05-30-2019, 11:57 PM
Super Moderator

I would say If your getting a spark and the pump is priming then there's either an earth fault firing the injectors or the pump is blocked, I'd good for the pump first , take that out and have a look if it needs cleaning , could be blocked, you will need the manual to take you through the process

Quick Reply: Bike Cranks But Won't Start