F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Big loss of torque with slip-on

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 11:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Big loss of torque with slip-on

F4is have sloppy low end anyway...drop a tooth in the front or add 2 in the rear and be done with it...you'll like it much better as well.

stock pipe is hideous!

learn to ride where the power is...and not where it's not. you'll get used to it with time. it's not a V8...it's no mystery of the lowend lack in F4is.

Old 02-20-2008, 12:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice guys, yes I know these bikes are not supposed to have big power down low, but it's just a lot weaker than it was before. Hopefully it's just the loss of backpressure that's causing this and not something more sinister.[>:]

I will swap the pipes this weekend and go for a ride, that should be enough to tell me whether or not it's the pipe or something else.

DonEverrett I think your theory has some weight, I'm just not willing to shell out the bucks for a PC3 at this point.

Old 02-20-2008, 01:34 PM

mine does the same damn thing. bought mine w/ the slip on already on it and it has done it for the past two years i have had it. I have heard that a PC3 does clear it up for the most part also but i don't have one. I just got used to it and clutch it a little more

Old 02-20-2008, 05:23 PM

children...pc3 can't clear up anything way down in the power band...adding fuel there isn't going to do anything...

i got a full system, dyno tuned...and my low end was sooo sloppy...the tuner did his best to get me what he could...but low end was sloppy still...so i just dropped a tooth.

the loss in back pressure from opening up the pipes really affected my low end, to the point that powering up wheelies was no go...even in first...

just dropped 1 tooth in the front and it all went away. of course...it's a bit buzzier, but it's ok, you get used to all that bs.

as for the speedo being off...well...doesn't bother me much so it's all good!

Old 02-20-2008, 05:41 PM

Do the 600s have that stupid flapper that the 954 has? My 954 has a racing exhaust on it. The bottom end sucked until I got rid of the flapper. Funny thing is the flapper is supposed to help bottom end...

Old 02-21-2008, 08:50 PM
Official Welcome Crew Junkie

That's normal....
Same thing happened to my bike after installing the Jardine slip-on.
I do have aPCIII USB on it and that DID improve throttle response on the bottom, but not necessarily the "torque" so to speak.
Like Tahoe stated dropping a tooth in the front makes a HUGE difference.
I did 520 chain conversion -1,+2 and the bike accellerates like a scalded cat now, even better than when having the stock set-up with stock exhaust.
All things being said, I personally believe that the bike runs perfect and just about the fastest bone stock. The slip-on just gives you exhaust noise and weight reduction (quite abit actually...).
If your not doing track days and commute with the bike, then I would suggest putting the bike back to stock form, just my .02

Old 02-21-2008, 11:32 PM

What Tahoe stated is the best way. I did -1 in the front w/ a 520 conversion and I run with Two Bros. Knowing how to use your rpms and where your power is best performing at is the way to take advantage of your bike. All bikes are fast, its just the experience that comes in time.

Old 02-22-2008, 10:47 PM

I added the Two Bros pipe and didnt notice a low end drop, i can let the clutch out w/ no gas at all and it'll go, if i slip the clutch out at 4krpms my front end might lift a bit lol, id look into other possible issues before u point the finger ya know, good luck with it!

Old 02-23-2008, 04:06 AM
Banned

So the moral of this story is that slip ons are a waste of money and just lead to trouble or the need for more expensive crap?

Old 02-23-2008, 08:51 AM

ORIGINAL: fishfryer527

So the moral of this story is that slip ons are a waste of money and just lead to trouble or the need for more expensive crap?
^i dont think thats the point of the story.
the moral is, that modification lead to more modification; so leave your bike alone!

Quick Reply: Big loss of torque with slip-on