F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Benefits of Power Commander

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 05:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Benefits of Power Commander

I did some searching on here about a Power Commander, but I'm just curious! OK, Here is the deal,
I was wondering how much difference I actually get out of a power commander,, now I know thats a loaded question due to fuel differences,, but I would like a faster start thru 1st and 2nd. My friend has an 01 GSXR 1000,with a Power Commander, I know I have no chance (as to date) staying up with that beast,, but I'd like a little more go!! So whats the difference between the PCIII and the UB one, or what not,, And does it have to be on the bike to map it? like would I have to run a cable from my computer to my bike?? Thats gonna be a long *** cord!! help me out if you would,, help me understand what benefits I can get! Thanks

Old 05-08-2007, 05:49 PM
Default RE: Benefits of Power Commander

for fastest start on 1st and 2nd, get yourself new sprockets.. 1 teeth down on the front, 2 teeth up on the rear.

Power commander will give you a very very few ponies, but will increase performance through the power band, probably you can feel the bike better, but its not going to be like WOW .. Its like tuning a car, Stock will be barely unoticiable, but like turbocharging or supercharging a car you definitively feel the difference, and by tuning it you make it reach the most out of it.

the PC USBIII is just that it provides an easier USB interface, rather than the old serial COM1 one. You just upload the map from your computer to that PC Unit, and after that you plug it in your bike and you are ready to go. The unit doesnt have to be on the Bike to upload the maps. I guess it takes the power from the usb port. If someone can give more light regarding this power-over-usb, its welcome to do it

Old 05-08-2007, 07:19 PM

He is right on the USB version being newer and hooks up to the computer via the USB port instead of the serial port.

As for powering the PCIII USB, they make an adapter that accepts a battery to power the unit off the bike. Most people use a laptop and take it to the bike, plug in the USB cable and turn your ignition key on and upload the new map to the PCIII. Dynojet has various maps for different bike with different pipes/air filter combinations. For the best map, you need to take the bike with the PCIII on it to a dyno machine/shop and have a custom map made. Most people probably just use the basic maps that dynojet provide and notice that it makes the throttle smoother. Most say it is the first addon they'd recomend, even to a stock bike. Like was said, the HP gains will be nil, but the improved drivability is supposed to be well worth the price of admission.

Old 05-08-2007, 09:44 PM

MODERATORS: please make some kinda sticky about power commanders!!! the benefits, the downfalls, etc etc etc.

Old 05-08-2007, 09:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually there are gains to be had, this is going from a flat map to the custom tuned map. It's an RR but it isn't going to be much different on your bike.

The throttle response and even power distribution are amazing compared to stock. As a happy owner I have to say it is well worth it and there are gains to be had, especially done right with a custom map from someone that knows what they're doing.

Old 05-08-2007, 10:28 PM

I think the biggest seat of your pants difference you will feel is the thottle response will be smoothed out. I wont be so twitchy

Old 05-08-2007, 10:36 PM

I put one of these units on my bike this winter. I am very happy with it so far. It has smoothed out my throttle greatly. I loaded the map from dynojet that is for my bike with my mods, however I am still going to have it dynoed to personalize it to my specific bike.

Old 05-09-2007, 12:10 AM

OK, question, the charts above,, is that the difference between stock and w/ thepower commander,,,,or the difference between low and high with the power commander already on,, how much of a differnce will I see if I change it from Low to high,, or even medium for that fact?
And thanks,, I'm understanding alot more now!

Old 05-09-2007, 12:55 AM

The above chart is probably the difference between the standard base map and then one that is mapped by dynojet to maximize the add-ons he has on his bike; pipe, airfilter etc. (although at the nearly 10 horsepower increase, maybe it is a custom map?)

I didn't mean to imply you would get no gains, but they will be minimal if your bike is all stock, maybe 2 to 3 horsepower. It is the drivability that will knock your socks off. Then if you add add-ons to your bike, the custom maps will help you to get the most from those add-ons, yielding higher horsepower gains.

Old 05-09-2007, 08:36 AM

The maindifference i see in the two maps is due to temperature (of the environment or what???).
[ul][*]Blue runfile: at 87.82 F[*]Red runfile: at66.03oF[/ul]
That's almost 22 deg F difference. Does this mean that you can squeeze outmore power at higher weather temperature / pressure?

Quick Reply: Benefits of Power Commander