F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Battery loses charge

Old 03-20-2009, 09:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery loses charge

For the past couple of weeks my battery loses charge after riding for about an hour. The bike will start running bad like it's running out of gas, and the lights will dim when i'm sitting at idle and brighten when I rev it up. I can put it on charge, and it takes a full charge. Charger shows battery is at 100% after charging. I might be wrong, but I thought a battery wouldn't take a charge if it was "bad".
Are there any fuses that control the charging system that I can check? Does this sound like a stator problem? And if so, how can I check the stator to see if it needs to be replaced?

Old 03-20-2009, 10:21 PM

Sounds like a stator problem not recharging the battery while you ride. I have never hade a problem with mine so I don't know about test. The stator is the stationary portion of the alternator and the problem you describe are definitly charging problems.

Old 03-20-2009, 10:28 PM
July 2008 ROTM

Your bike only needs the battery to start. After that it should be maintained by the stator charging the electrical system. Sounds like you have a problem there, not with the battery (although depending on how old it is, it could use replacing also).

Old 03-20-2009, 10:53 PM

I put the battery on charge, and waited until it got to 80% charged, and then I started the bike and let it idle. The battery started charging itself and got to 100% within a minute. So obviously the stator is charging the battery now.
What would cause the stator to stop charging the battery after riding for a while?

Old 03-20-2009, 10:54 PM

Yah, its just like a car if the alternator goes out, you only get as far as the battery will carry you. Lights go dim and then everything shuts down. I would call you local bike shop to se if there is a way test it.

Old 03-20-2009, 10:56 PM

Does the battery need charging each time before you ride?
Does the bike cut out, or just lights dim?

Old 03-20-2009, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by cman9toes
Does the battery need charging each time before you ride?
Does the bike cut out, or just lights dim?
The battery dies after I ride for a while. I have to charge it when i get home.
The bike doesn't die, but it starts to run bad when trying to maintain a steady speed (say 40 mph). The engine starts sputtering and feels like I'm running out of gas, but it doesn't die. This happens as soon as I notice that the headlights are dimming way more than usual when sitting at idle, and they brighten up when i rev the engine.

I also noticed that after installing an undertail with LEDs, my turn signal on the display doesn't blink off and on when I use the signal. Instead, it comes on, and brightens and dims as the signal blinks.

Old 03-21-2009, 02:24 AM
July 2008 ROTM

Originally Posted by CBR_SLIM_T
The battery dies after I ride for a while. I have to charge it when i get home.
The bike doesn't die, but it starts to run bad when trying to maintain a steady speed (say 40 mph). The engine starts sputtering and feels like I'm running out of gas, but it doesn't die. This happens as soon as I notice that the headlights are dimming way more than usual when sitting at idle, and they brighten up when i rev the engine.

I also noticed that after installing an undertail with LEDs, my turn signal on the display doesn't blink off and on when I use the signal. Instead, it comes on, and brightens and dims as the signal blinks.
If it is happening while you are riding, it is a charging issue of some sort. The bike uses the battery to turn on, and keep electrics going if the stator is not providing enough current (usually when you aren't moving). It sounds like the bike is pulling too much from the battery because the stator isn't doing it's job.

You should have your bike inspected at a dealer or qualified mechanic who understands the charging system. They'll be able to narrow down the problem. They'll test the battery as well, and let you know if it needs replacing.

Your turn signal light issue is because of the new LED bulb - it doesn't give as much resistance as a standard incandescent, so it isn't sure if it's fully on or off.

Old 03-21-2009, 03:17 AM

I would check the rectifier, usually stators stay pretty solid.

I remeber i had a similar problem it was the wires connecting to my rectifier were not very good after some wiggling it did well again

if you have a volt meter measure the voltage at the battery. When you start up the bike make sure it gets higher then when you rev it a little past 1400-2000 rpm make sure the voltage shoots up to a consistent 14 volts iirc. If not wiggle that wire see if there is any change. If not then i would then consider looking at the stator!

good luck

Old 03-21-2009, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by Xuracing
I would check the rectifier, usually stators stay pretty solid.

I remeber i had a similar problem it was the wires connecting to my rectifier were not very good after some wiggling it did well again

if you have a volt meter measure the voltage at the battery. When you start up the bike make sure it gets higher then when you rev it a little past 1400-2000 rpm make sure the voltage shoots up to a consistent 14 volts iirc. If not wiggle that wire see if there is any change. If not then i would then consider looking at the stator!

good luck
+1 to the r/r

Check out this link on how to diagnose the charging system.

http://cbrworld.net/forums/thread/140473.aspx

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Battery loses charge