F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

battery keeps dying then works fine again

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 12:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default battery keeps dying then works fine again

Well guys here's another one for the "my battery is dying" post.. its weird but if anyone can think of an idea as to why i could sure use the help. so when i ride 15-20 minutes or so the bike heats up and the battery dies. i'm talking completely dead if i shut the bike off it wont crank. lights come on guages work but it wont turn over. I let it sit for 1/2hr 45 mins or so it cools to about 100 degrees and it starts like theres nothing wrong at all.. i dont get it.. i replaced the battery, regulator and the stator.. but none of those helped. if anyone has any ideas i would appreciate the help.

02 f4i
[align=left] [/align]

Old 12-19-2008, 11:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: battery keeps dying then works fine again

someone here has had this same problem. search and try to find a post which says the tank heats up.
could be a short circuit in your wiring causing a drain on the battery.

Old 12-19-2008, 11:34 AM
Banned

If it was your old battery I would say:

Take the battery out, charge it...load test it...I think a new battery for our bikes is 270cca, my bike ran with a battery as low as 130cca. You may have an internal short in the battery.

But with a new battery getting hot, I agree with ampfp and you may be shorting to ground or you have bad cables or a bad/loose connection, I would inspect/replace batterycables, especially the ground wiresand anything coming off the statorbefore anything.

Good luck keep us posted.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:59 AM

Thanks guys.. haven't looked for the bad ground yet, but i did replace the battery and it still does the same thing with the brand new battery. im gonna look around and see if i can find something loose. by the way did the search but couldnt find anything about the tank heating up..

Old 12-22-2008, 10:21 PM

If I read this right your bike is warming up and dying and then wont restart till it cools down? Do you have to charge the battery or do you just let it cool down and then it restarts? If the latter then I would be looking into the temp sensor as the faulty component.

Old 12-23-2008, 01:06 PM

pretty close.. i can ride it for say 15-20 mins but once it hits the 200 degree mark. it will start to kill the battery if i stop and shut the bike off or if it stalls, it will not start. lights come on but acts as if there isnt enough juice to turn over. if i let it sit til it cools down, no battery charger just sitting and cooling.. it starts back up no problem. i did find someone that said they had almost the exact same problem when his bike would heat up it would kill the battery and he said it was his coils. is that possible?

Old 12-23-2008, 08:27 PM

no, the coils could get hot and not fire but the bike would still turn over just not start. if the bike isnt even trying to turn over then its the temp sensor or pcm thinking its overheating or its the starter(or solenoid) overheating and not engaging. That's about the only realistic things it could be. also refrain from saying its killing the battery as if it were killing the battery you would have to charge it with a charger before it would do anything.

Old 01-01-2009, 08:09 PM

Thanks guys, im gonna look at that next.. found a set of coils on ebay for cheap but it didnt work so that wasnt so much of an expensive test.. but im gonna try the temp sensor and the starter next.. found a guy parting out his bike so hes giving me some pretty cheap prices on parts.. siorry about the wording.. my bad, but yeah after i ride it i can shut it off and immediately try and start it back up, the head lights and guages dim the starter clicks but its as if the battery doesnt have enough juice to turn it over.. if i let it sit and cool down.. it will start no problem.. rode it just an hour ago for about 20 mins soon as i got back home shut it off. tried to restart and nothing.... went back out 1/2hr later, starts on 1st try.

Old 01-01-2009, 08:22 PM

Look for damage in the wiring harness. Insulation worn through or a bad chassis ground would be my best guess.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:20 AM
Banned

My next guess is the starter.

When hot, the inernal resistance rises and then won't start. Does anyone think that trying to cool the starter with a water hose after a ridewould screw anything up? I am not sure if a bike starter is different than a car starter, in a car the shaft/bendixy/thing can get bent and when hot expand enough to where it binds anddon't slide out.

Quick Reply: battery keeps dying then works fine again