F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Battery issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 09:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Battery issues

After replacing the battery when I got the bike serviced recently, it lasted 4 weeks before the bike needed to be bump started!!
So, its used each day in the week to travel 25km each way and used on the weekend normally. No extras but HID running light. Checked the wiring and nothing seems out of the unusual.
Anyone else use a trickle charger to maintain the battery or have other issues with the battery?

Old 03-14-2009, 11:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I keep a battery maintainer same thing a trickle charger on mine. Especially when it is colder. It has a quick plug adapter so it isn't that much hassle. But i am usually only on mine on the weekend.

Old 03-14-2009, 12:59 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent

Yep, just get yourself a tender/maintainer. Walmart's got them for $20 (1.5 amp). If that doesn't work then there's something else wrong. But the tender is still a good idea.

Old 03-14-2009, 02:09 PM

Yeah I have a tender with the permanently wired adapter, when I pull into the garage I pull it out from under the seat and plug it in. Its so easy and it ensures I don't end up with a dead battery if I am out running around town.

Old 03-14-2009, 03:19 PM

If your brand new battery died in a month you need to get your stator checked out. Read the sticky forum on how to diagnose the charging system. HIDs draw less current than standard headlights, so thats not your problem. Although a tender is a great idea, its not gonna fix the actual problem.

Old 03-14-2009, 03:50 PM

If he is commuting and making short trips then its possible his stator is just fine. It wouldn't hurt to check, but if you are making lots of short trips then your battery is going to lose its charge. Its even more noticeable if you are spending your commute in traffic.

Old 03-14-2009, 05:12 PM

your battery shouldn't die after 4 weeks unless you have some kind of parasitic draw on your system or your stator isn't functioning properly

either that or the dealership didn't properly charge the battery out of the box

Old 03-15-2009, 01:38 PM
Default dead batt.

i assume the battery is a maintenance free one if not check your eloctolyte level and the gravity of your mix if evry thing is allright then u need to get a tender and wire it up give it a full charge and then use it for a while without hooking it back up and if u get the same result u got a charging issue problem i had the same thing happen when i livid in hawaii had a commute of 5 mi in heavy stop n go traffic got the tender n problem went away.let me know if it fixes or not i can tell u how to check ur stator.

Old 03-16-2009, 04:42 AM

cheers for the info - will check out the sticky

Old 03-16-2009, 11:48 AM

liquidpjear is right.. chances are you have either a problem with your stator or there's a short that is drawing a small amount of current somewhere. do you have any aftermarket electronics like an alarm or lighting? if you wired the aftermarket electronics in parallel with the battery like most people do (most wiring diagrams give you the easy way) and there's no true-bypass on the circuit then it's goign to draw a little current even if it's shut off.

Quick Reply: Battery issues