Old 03-26-2008, 05:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: backward tire

ok if this picture didnt post then i need advice on how to post a picture

Old 03-26-2008, 05:54 PM

ORIGINAL: maldy21

i am positive the wheel is on backwards. it is my front tire and the arrow on it is facing backwards and there is even a very tiny directional arrow on the rim, which is also the wrong way. so sould this affect my ride. i havent really noticed anything wrong with it until i cleaned it. will it mess with handleing? im working on getting some pics up.
If the whole wheel was put on backwards, then it means probably means that, apart from all the tire grip/wear issues, you will have braking problems as well. The brake disks have a rotation direction as well (the tiny arrow you were mentioning is probably the brake disc rotation arrow), and a wheel put on backwards means that the discs will be rotating wrong, which means that braking will not work as it should. Secondly, this also means that the disks are swapped, so you will be braking the disk originally on the left side with the right side pads (and viceversa), which means that the pads will need some time to break in again to the new disk surface they are gripping.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:56 PM

Is the TREAD going the same way as the rear or backwards compaired to the rear..

I installed my qualifiers and had at least 5 guys tell me my tires were mounted wrong.Mainly because the tread pattern is different front to rear(the face away from each other).

As long as the ARROW on the tire side wall is going in the correct direction the tire is installed correctly.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i don't think you can mount the front wheel (not tire) backwards...part of the wheel will lodge against the forks, making a nice dent...

go ahead, ask me how i know...

Old 03-27-2008, 06:09 AM

How can that happen? Isn't the wheel symmetrical? Which part hits?

Old 03-27-2008, 09:03 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same thing I was thinking.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tire is symmetrical, washers/spacers that the axle goes through are not. i think the brake side is larger than the clutch side, so if you put that sucker on wrong and starting tightening down, you'll notice that the front tire won't spin AND you have a nice dent around the center of the wheel...TADA!!!

but tahoe is very stand up guy...when i sold my spare set or rims...i gave up the good wheel...and kept the dented on! cause i'm like that biatches!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-27-2008, 10:50 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Tahoe SC
but tahoe is very stand up guy...when i sold my spare set or rims...i gave up the good wheel...and kept the dented on! cause i'm like that biatches!!!!!!!!!
What are you ranting about now?
I didn't know you were 4'11" 363lbs. Wouldn't that make you a rectangle?

ORIGINAL: Tahoe SC
tire is symmetrical, washers/spacers that the axle goes through are not. i think the brake side is larger than the clutch side, so if you put that sucker on wrong and starting tightening down, you'll notice that the front tire won't spin AND you have a nice dent around the center of the wheel...TADA!!!
I can get with the spacer thing, but wouldn't it just cause the wheel to not be on centerline??? It is for this reason (alignment) that Honda has a front wheel installation procedure of when to torque the calipers, axle bolt, pinch bolts, etc. If done in the proper order you won't have the problem cause something won't line up and you will not damage a wheel.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:03 PM

I heard that the tread on most front tires looks backwards when mounted correctly. They do this for road feel or steering or something. Thats what the guy who owns wheelers at deals gap told me at least.

Quick Reply: backward tire