F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Audible ticking at idle

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2020, 09:05 AM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Question Audible ticking at idle

Last night after pulling into the garage I noticed a slight metallic noise at idle. Its difficult to really point it out as the bike is so damn loud and I'm considering reinstalling a stock-ish muffler. The rhythm of the noise does not change with RPM, or at least from what I can still hear when I try to give it some throttle. Fluid levels looked good after the ride, I did change the oil with Shell Rotella last weekend.
It sounds similar to overhead valve ticking in my cars. However, that noise would change with RPM.
Has anyone had a similar experience or possibly point me in the direction to start diagnosis. I'm not very familiar with bike engines yet.
Thanks.

Old 03-10-2020, 03:33 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Not sure what could tick but not change speed with rpm.

Old 03-10-2020, 06:45 PM
Welcome crew
Received 213 Likes on 192 Posts

If you can get an idea where it is coming from, that might help. It can be tough to diagnosis a general noise like that without much context...

Old 03-11-2020, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by boredandstroked
Not sure what could tick but not change speed with rpm.
That's what has me stumped. I could still barely hear it when I would give it some throttle and it didn't seem to change with the RPM. Any recommendations for some sort of stethoscope tool or method to try and pinpoint the noise?

Old 03-11-2020, 06:42 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thats the trouble with noises , can be hard to even find the location let alone the cause.
Ive used a screwdriver as a stethoscope before, not the ideal tool for the job but hey. I used one that had the metal at the end of the handle exposed so you can hit it with a hammer. Works well enough.

A real long shot, if its not really changing with the RPM , just try putting a little pressure on your clutch lever to see if the noise stops.
A couple of years ago I thought something in the top end was going because of this tapping noise I was getting. Didn't really change with rpm.
If I just pulled slightly on the clutch lever it would stop. Turned out to be a problem with the clutch pull rod bearing (not sure of the actual name) ,
I took it out and made sure it was clean and reseated it. The noise went away.
Came back the next spring, same thing fixed it. I need to replace it just havent gotten to it.

Dont know how rare or common this problem is , but worth taking two seconds to see if it could be the cause or not.
Either way I hope you figure it out , good luck.

Old 03-12-2020, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by F4i4ever
Thats the trouble with noises , can be hard to even find the location let alone the cause.
Ive used a screwdriver as a stethoscope before, not the ideal tool for the job but hey. I used one that had the metal at the end of the handle exposed so you can hit it with a hammer. Works well enough.

A real long shot, if its not really changing with the RPM , just try putting a little pressure on your clutch lever to see if the noise stops.
A couple of years ago I thought something in the top end was going because of this tapping noise I was getting. Didn't really change with rpm.
If I just pulled slightly on the clutch lever it would stop. Turned out to be a problem with the clutch pull rod bearing (not sure of the actual name) ,
Came back the next spring, same thing fixed it. I need to replace it just havent gotten to it.

Dont know how rare or common this problem is , but worth taking two seconds to see if it could be the cause or not.
I will give that a try tonight, thanks.

Old 04-02-2020, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by F4i4ever

It took a while to get back to the bike but now that some things have settled I can put more time into the bike. Not to mention I have a whole lot of free time now that COVID-19 has shut most things down.

No changes when applying pressure to the clutch lever. I tried the screwdriver stethoscope and it worked better than expected. It sounds as though its coming from the crankcase cover. That was the only part where I could hear it through the screwdriver. Still unsure how to move forward, couldn't really hear much change when I tried giving it some throttle.

Last edited by MomosF4I; 04-03-2020 at 07:49 AM.
Old 04-02-2020, 05:06 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

The only things that won't change with RPM while sitting still are transmission and driveline related.