F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

asking for tips

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 12:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default asking for tips

im new to the riding world but i must say it is alot of fun, been riding nonstop for about a month but im wondering if any riders out there have some tips. this forum probably has lots of slick riders so any input will be appreciated. just looking for turning tips, or general info on handling my 04 f4i in turns and such, its not that i cant ride the thing i just thought that who would be better to ask for info than a community of honda riders. thanks all
radvoem
04 f4i

Old 05-13-2008, 12:56 AM
Default RE: asking for tips

TIP #1: Look where you want to go (especially in curves). If you suddenly notice that dead squirrel in the curve, don't stare at it. You look at the path that you want your bike to go, otherwise, you will likely hit the thing you were trying to avoid.

disclaimer: No squirrels were harmed in the making of this comment.

Old 05-13-2008, 02:26 AM

^Target fixation i did maybe still do that with potholes for some reason, best way to sharpen your skills is at the track man. You're free to test your limit at the expense of your bike but in a safe environment.

Old 05-13-2008, 05:52 AM

Always be light on the bars. Ie. Dont grip them tight, Keep your arms relaxed. Your weight should be supported by your legs and core. Keep the ***** of your feet on the pegs for the best manuverability. Get up off the seat for rough pavement/ obsticles. Use your legs more and grip the tank with knees in a high wind situation. Be careful of wind blast when passing a semi at high speed. Countersteering/ Push on the bar in the direction you want to go. Always be progressive and smooth with all your inputs (braking, accellerating, clutching). Keep a good amount of cushion space when riding. When stopped stay in 1st gear and always ready to jet. When at a stoplight, Stop in a position where you can get out of the pack if something happens. Ride in the best lane position for the situation, Always ride where you can see the furthest. Try not to be behind large trucks and vehicles, they obscure your view of others and the ability others have to view you.

Go buy some books on riding. Twist of the wrist, Smooth riding the pridmore way, Total control, Proficent motorcycling, the list goes on and on.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:37 AM

Take the MSF class as quickly as you can... before you establish bad habits.
Everything everone said here is great advice, and things you learn in your class.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:50 AM

ORIGINAL: MC_spirited

Always be light on the bars. Ie. Dont grip them tight, Keep your arms relaxed. Your weight should be supported by your legs and core. Keep the ***** of your feet on the pegs for the best manuverability. Get up off the seat for rough pavement/ obsticles. Use your legs more and grip the tank with knees in a high wind situation. Be careful of wind blast when passing a semi at high speed. Countersteering/ Push on the bar in the direction you want to go. Always be progressive and smooth with all your inputs (braking, accellerating, clutching). Keep a good amount of cushion space when riding. When stopped stay in 1st gear and always ready to jet. When at a stoplight, Stop in a position where you can get out of the pack if something happens. Ride in the best lane position for the situation, Always ride where you can see the furthest. Try not to be behind large trucks and vehicles, they obscure your view of others and the ability others have to view you.

Go buy some books on riding. Twist of the wrist, Smooth riding the pridmore way, Total control, Proficent motorcycling, the list goes on and on.

All excellent points

Goose

Old 05-13-2008, 09:06 AM

here is an excellent cornering guide posted by our lovely Juliet, it's posted in the newbie section...

https://cbrforum.com/m_520088/tm.htm

Old 05-13-2008, 03:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take the MSF course asap. That'll get you started.
Get comfortable with your bike for 3-4 months.
Do a track day. There is no other way to improve your turning as much as you can in 1 track day. All you have to make sure is you keep your wits about yourself at ALL times and ride to 70-80% of your capacity, not 100% !!

Old 05-13-2008, 08:50 PM

The MSF is good, but some things I dont agree with. Specifically their advice to NOT cover the brake and clutch. I always cover the brake and clutch with two fingers when my hand is on the bar. Sometimes I let my clutch hand rest, which is not very safe in some circumstances. Remember that the rider makes the bike, not the other way around. That being said you must make sure your machine is safe, check at the very least your tires before you ride. If you are going to be getting spirited, make sure you check them as tire pressures affect your cornering significantly. For longer tire life/highway riding run more pressure like 34/38 or something to that affect. I usually run about 32/35ish. Check tire pressures cold and remember that they will increase pressure because of the heating of the tires and air. Make sure not to neglect your chain, clean, lubeand inspect it at the very least every 500 miles, more like 200-300 miles. If you want to increase the performance of your bike, spend the money on a trackday instead. 95 percent of riders do not or cannot ride their bike to the edge of its cornering and accellerating abilities. The price of one speeding ticket could pay for an entire trackday, and it is safer and much more fun than the street. Some track experianced riders do not even ride on the street. Im sure their has to be one person that feels that way here. Trust your tires, I doubt you will ever lean over far enough to not be able to throw it over more if need be. Always ride like there is going to be a refrigerator around every blind corner you approach. If you get into trouble in a turn (too fast, bad line) do not brake. Most times the bike can be leaned over more, If you cannot trust your tires, get new ones. If you get into trouble with the rear end sliding on you because of too much accelleration, closing the throttle is the wrong answer. Ive never been in that situation, but racers have a saying, "When in doubt, Gas it out". Closing the throttle would lead to you getting thrown over the top of the bike as the rear tire violently regains traction.

Go to a parking lot and practice braking manuvers. Set up a turn and practice going through the turn and at the midpoint of the turn, stand up the bike and brake. Accellerate straight to 25mph then brake. Get your distance down as much as you can. When you feel comfortable, bring it up 5mph at a time. Everyone who rides should practice emergency braking at all speeds, but it is hard to find a spot to accellerate to 50-70 mph then brake hard safely. Go slow with it, Be smooth, progressive and deliberate with all control inputs.

When cornering dont be afraid to get your *** off the seat. Hang off half your *** in the direction you are leaning. This eliminates leaning the opposite way you turn. It also gives you more proper posture. Remember to keep arms and hands relaxed and most of your weight on the pegs. In a bumpy enviroment or while turning, you should be like a jockey with most weight on the feet. While cornering keep some on the seat, but for bumps and obsticles get all the way off.

Besides winding it out through a tunnel or bridge overpass, and riding the twisties, the thing that makes me smile the most is when there are cars approaching a train crossing and they are slowing down as I pass them on the tracks. ****ing vaginas.

Old 05-14-2008, 09:42 AM

GEAR UP!!

Quick Reply: asking for tips