F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Any suggestions to stabilize f4i for canyon riding?

Old 11-03-2005, 07:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any suggestions to stabilize f4i for canyon riding?

Hi, I've been looking to install steering damper, rear set, and maybe a clip-on to lower the grip, all to get better cornering in canyons for fun. I've been feeling some wiggling during twisties like near Rock store. Anyone with expert product suggestions and experience?? Haven't touched suspension but I'm 153lb. Also, how high RPM do you guys keep for twisties?? Have pretty much stock 05 f4i.

Old 11-03-2005, 07:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Any suggestions to stabilize f4i for canyon riding?

in the twists, i keep it around 7-8K and up.
as far as steering damper, the f4i doesn't really need it. what you should do is have your suspension adjusted properly.
as far as rear sets, will only give you better clearance and change your feet position...while the clip ons just lower your bars a bit. won't really help with the wiggles.
what tires are you running? as far as near the rockstore, it's all dirty there anyway. was your tire just following some grooves?
what will make you faster and have more fun is a trackday. after that, you'll be much much faster and it'll show in the canyons.
T

Old 11-04-2005, 02:22 AM

Thanks for expert opinions. Wanted to adjust suspension but really don't know what to do other than reading some tips. If I'm 150lb does it still make difference to adjust stock setting? I have stock tires and wonder if better tires like Pilots makes any differences. Idea of steering damper came from a friend with new ZX6R who said is getting one even for ZX6R! I believe a lot has to do with rider skill and am working on it!!

Old 11-04-2005, 11:45 AM

give these guys a call or email
link here

I don't know that you really need a damper yet unless you are getting some headshake.
Replace the clip-ons if you wreck and bend one, it really doesn't gain you much now.
Don't replace the rearsets unless you are dragging the stock ones (or you wreck and bust one up).

Spend the money on suspension and track days. You will get far more out of that.

Old 11-04-2005, 01:56 PM

the 636 could use a damper cause the front comes up so easily with it.
yea 150 is slightly higher than the stock setting...and the stocker is pretty mushy, especially going into and out of turns...
stiffen it up some

Old 11-04-2005, 04:38 PM

Tahoe and 1badf4, thank guys for great tips. yes i want to go to trackday. will be looking for one near LA area soon. hopefully rider skill gets updated!!

Old 11-04-2005, 06:34 PM

yo mang...you'll see...go to track once...even if you aren't fast to stay in noob level but afterwards, you'll be much better tuned to your bike and what you need to focus on, etc.

LA area...lots of tracks! Buttonwillow (my favorite) and also Willow Springs are so close...and further south you gots Fontana but BLING BLING!

Old 11-05-2005, 02:46 AM

On your F4i, set your fork rebound damping (screw on top of fork legs) to the max. It still won't be enough, but you will be amazed at the difference! Set your rear shock rebound damping (bottom of shock) to the minimum. Set your compression damping at about midway for the forks (bottom of fork leg) and rear shock (on the reservoir). You can dial in the compression damping as you see fit to soften or harshen the ride. Your preload should be okay. I just attended a suspension workshop with Dave Moss, so my **** is dialed!

Also, make sure your tire pressure is to spec.

Old 11-05-2005, 04:07 AM

Wow, that's useful info, thanks alot!! I'll try this and run Malibu tomorrow!

BTW, does a new set of tire like Pilot Power make any difference in cornering stability compared to stock Bridgestone??

Old 11-05-2005, 05:07 PM

Most likely, but remember you will need to put about 70 miles on the new tires before pushing them too hard. New tires can be very slippery.

Do me a favor and let me know how those settings work for you. I think you'll be amazed at the difference. Take care.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any suggestions to stabilize f4i for canyon riding?