F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

ANY ONE

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 08:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ANY ONE

Any one on here ride an 01 or 02 F4i and can do wheelies if so how i want to do them in second if possible the bikes basically stock except for a d and d slip on

Old 08-03-2005, 09:12 PM
Default RE: ANY ONE

Take it to like 50 mph, pull in the clutch, rev it up, pop it. I don't know of any other way to do it in any gear.

Old 08-04-2005, 01:10 AM

hey i dropped a tooth today on the front and second gear wheelies haven't been all that great yet but maybe i will get better but if anyone has any suggestion let me know and if anyone knows how much the speedo is off i would like to know it seems like i lost a lot of top end.

Old 08-04-2005, 05:26 AM

um i was -1 +3, and barely lost top end, noticable if were doing 100 and we try to race, but if its from a stand still or 20 or 30-50 I will own any other stock 600, and they will spend the rest of the road catchin up...

go 2-3 teeth up in the rear.. Promise, it wont do you wrong.
On my cbr600rr, i wheelie in 5th...

Old 08-04-2005, 03:59 PM

take it to about 30mph in first gear, let off to let the front end dive back down then snap it back, front wheel will pop right up...then just practice shifting into second or riding it out in first. in second, just stand up and preload the suspension, then open up second gear and she will come up easy....just my .02

Old 08-04-2005, 09:09 PM

It should be understood that wheelies are a 'do-at-your-own-risk' sort of venture so if you're new to riding and don't yet have very good throttle control on your bike, beware. Always wear ALL of your gear. I was one of those anti-wheelie guys when I first started riding but after 10,000 canyon miles in less than a year, I started to feel pretty comfy on the bike. I learned wheelies using the "chop-throttle" method, but never do the chop anymore (too easy to loop IMO). In chopping, basically you accelerate hard in first gear to about 30mph, so that the front end is 'unloaded'. Then snap off the throttle quickly to compress the front fork then quickly "wide-open" throttle the bike. I say "wide-open" but it's really just a generous wringing of the throttle. Start VERY SMALL with your "wide-open" throttle applications. You should aim low, like getting the wheel 2 inches off the ground, then 6 inches, then a foot, etc. You'll be scared you're gonna loop it every time until you get comfy getting the front end up to about 45 degrees consistently. Don't even think about trying to find the balance point using this chop method. You'll hear some people say "COVER THE BACK BRAKE" pedal but honestly, I haven't found that to be practical advice. If you're ever even CLOSE to looping it, you're first natural reaction is to let off the throttle. When you do that, the front end comes crashing down into the ground really hard, but you'll usually ride away without incident. It's this learning stage that does the most damage to your bike, the hard landings on the front (over time, busts your fork seals, etc). If you're at the point where just letting off the throttle doesn't bring the bike back down and you need the rear brake, GOOD LUCK with that because you are WAAAAY FOOOKIN HIGH man.

After I got reasonably good at controlling the chop-throttle method (riding it out at 45 degrees until bouncing the rev limiter), I began messing around with clutch wheelies. These are MUCH more predictable and IMO a little safer if there is such a thing in wheelies. Clutch wheelies are cool because you don't have to be accelerating hard in first gear (drawing more unneeded attention to your squidly ***) to pop a wheelie (i.e. no need to unload the front end and bounce it up), you can be cruising along and just pop one out of 'nowhere'. In a clutch wheelie, I basically learned by slowly accelerating to 20-23mph on STOCK sprockets (16/46) on my F4i, pull in clutch with ONE finger to the friction zone while simultaneously revving the engine up to double the RPMs it was at, then in one QUICK motion 'dumping' the clutch (let it out quickly) and stabilizing the RPMs. The front wheel will come up a little bit as long as you're not leaning too far over the tank, which you will probably do the first dozen or so times you try clutch wheelies, out of a healthy fear and respect for your motorcycle and the fact that you don't know what to expect. Again, START SMALL and DON'T immediately start by clutching in and DOUBLING your RPMs. Increase gradually until comfortable. After a few practice sessions I realized I was clutching in at around 5000 RPMs and revving to around 11000 RPMs when I pulled a pretty good one. Your experience may vary. Keep in mind that you won't always be looking at the tach sweep, it's always better to LOOK where you want to go (not down at your gauges). That said, you will develop throttle technique more by FEEL and SOUND rather than exact RPM numbers.

Another thing about clutch wheelies, if you clutch in at 20 mph and rev to 11000 RPM before dumping clutch, the front end comes up SCARY SCARY FAST for a newbie. DON'T DO IT! If you clutch in at 30 mph and rev to 11000 RPM, the front end comes up slower. So, IMO, it's a little better to learn clutch wheelies going a little faster rather than slower. Your bike and your cojones will determine what the upper speed threshold is for learning clutch wheelies.

Once I got pretty good at riding f