F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Anti Theft Devices??

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 01:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anti Theft Devices??

My question is that all I have right now is a kryptonite disk brake lock, and I want to get something more, any opinions on a kryptonite chain? or an alarm?

Old 08-09-2008, 03:00 AM
Default RE: Anti Theft Devices??

I've got one. The chain is a good idea if you park regularly or overnight near a post or something. Even if you aren't near something to chain it too, you can still just loop it through your wheel so someone can't drive off. No matter what, though, bikes are a heck of a lot easier to still than cars. If they want it, they can take it. There's an youtube vid of a gsx-r getting lifted up by 2 guys and taken away in a minivan in about 20 seconds. What's an alarm going to do then? Comprehensive insurance is your friend.

Old 08-09-2008, 11:22 AM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

Lowjack,

that's the only thing that will work, they even come with a pager now to let you know when your ****s' getting jacked

Old 08-09-2008, 11:59 AM

+1 on lowjack. They guarentee they will get your baby back within 24 hours.

I didn't know this, and it's kinda effed up in a cool way, but when you have lojack installed, you're not allowed to witness them installing it.

Old 08-10-2008, 01:14 AM

Thanks, I'll look into the lowjack, I've never even heard of that before.

but then again...comprehensive is a good plan too...haha

Old 08-10-2008, 02:07 AM

good insurance is always good.....

+1 on Lo-Jack ...........

I acutally installed an alarm on my bike, that is wired to the battery, and also has an engine cut off switch, and shock sensors, so when you walk away from your bike, no one is starting it without the remote that is in your pocket, I love it......makes me feel more secure driving the bike places.....even if someone punches the ignition column, they arent going anywhere.......

Old 08-10-2008, 07:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problem with lo-jack is that the pro's are getting good at disabling it. For bikes I'm guessing most criminals are dumb... but not all.

The question is - do they plan on riding it off, or li.fting it into a van. Most lik.ely the later.

A ch.ain? Snip gone i.n 10 seconds or l.ess.

A wheel l.ock? No u.se.

Alarm? They'll li.ft it into the van and disable it. Sometimes they'll move the bike to set the alarm off first... figure it out, van circles around and li.fts it.

Lo Jack - great i.f they don't know it's there, and don't know how to disable it. People are learning how to beat it.

Best bet - make it take too long for them to li.ft that they dont' feel safe, or park next to a more appealing target. So i.f you own a 500 ninja, park next to the ducati.

For the money, best bet is a cover. Don't let them see what they're getting, or what work they'll have to do when uncovered. Be a bit sneaky, draw string the cover tight with a l.ock, hiding the real l.ock, and u.se an alarm as well. It'll take a bit longer and spook the crack heads.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:21 AM

Alarm or low jack is about the only thing thats going to do anygood. Cover sounds good too.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:39 AM

buddy of mine had his bike ripped of with low jack..brand new 1 month old gsxr 600..low jack says they'll give hime 5 grand..they didnt recover it...so low jack really isnt that great imo. I live in an apt. my bike is chained up with an onguard bulldog lock and chain ($160) to a pole then park my car in fromt of it..so litterally unless you move my car cut out 6ft chunk of latice and two poles your not going to get my bike..and if its their for more then 1 night it gets covered.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:21 AM

Really to be honest. If some one wants to jack your **** they will. Lets be honest these locks only prevent amateurs. And huge chains? i have seen trucks with 220v generators 200 dollars used with a cheap 400 dollar plasma cutter cut through chains and poles like butter then its just lifting it and getting itin a truck!

Quick Reply: Anti Theft Devices??