F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Another "what's this odd noise" post ; )

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 09:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another "what's this odd noise" post ; )

So here's what's happening. It may be normal but I wanted to run it by everyone to see if you guys notice it to!

The noise: ONLY upon quick acceleration, In ALL gears, do I get this SCREETCHING....WHISTLING/ZIPPING, almost sounds identical to the spooling of a turbo....at first it sounded like the engine was "spooling' very loudly and although it sounds "tough", I'm concerned bc ..."I don't have a turbo" haha

Then I started thinking maybe it's not the engine but rather the suction of air from the ducts/blocked off resonators....and it makes sense but I can't be sure. I mean when I blocked off the resonator holes, its pretty flush so any quick suction of air "shouldn't" make this noise but I was under the assumption that even at WOT or heavy throttle that the suction from the airbox/ducts in not THAT powerful? (Feel free to educate me here)

At first I thought it was one of two things. Either a whistling/zipp sound made from the suction of air passing past my blocked off resonators? Or...my lock key (from my keychain) vibrating off the triple tree.

The more I hear it the more I lean towards the blocked of resonators...When I took them out, I merely taped over both small holes very tightly with electrical tape. I thought maybe one or both came undone thus making the zipping noise but after looking into the ram air ducts with a light, they both are still securely sealed.

Any ideas?

Btw...and it probably doesnt matter but I have a bootleg pipe, BMC filter and 2bro's mapped USB PC3

Old 03-20-2011, 10:39 AM

Nope youre probably right with the airducts/intake. My bike doesnt do that, or at least i cant hear it, but you can hear that on a lot of cars with aftermarket intakes, theyll start to whine under acceleration.

Old 03-20-2011, 03:33 PM

I just taped mine off too but haven't noticed any new noises..

Old 03-20-2011, 04:09 PM
Default Funny noise

Just wondering if you've made any mods to your cam chain tensioner. If the tensioner is too tight it can make a whistling zipping noise like you described, just another thought, hope you figure out what it is.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:50 PM

Thanks guys. The CCTL is the Auto latest version so I don't think it's the CCTL