F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Another Undertail query.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 11:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Undertail query.

I know to use the search, but it is frustrating with my computer being so slow. I am looking for opinions of people who have installed undertails. I need new rear turn signals, but I might as well get an undertail and do it all in one shot.

Some thingsI like and do not like about undertails I've seen:

1. I like the dual round tailights.

I do not like the visablility of the dual rounds, especially when they function as turn signals.

2. I like the undertail that has the series of 4-6 leds on each side for the signals. I want to also do the Passenger peg signal mod along with the air intake LED signal mod to increase visability.

3. I do not want my plate mounted on the undertail.

I like the clean look, and would rather put my plate on the swingarm or something like that.

I looked at hotbodies, and rumble. Where everI looked at the rumble undertails did not have good pics. So if anyone has any experiance with undertails I've described, or know a few sites with good prices, selection, and picturesI would appreciate it. THanks for the time.

Old 03-22-2008, 01:01 PM
Default RE: Another Undertail query.

i'll be installing rumble undertail on my 06 closest days, here's the quick pic of unpainted version
http://streetpower.com.ua/forum/atta...p;d=1205276397
as you can see the rumble has the plate mount holes predrilled and the led modules not glued in. i'll show some more pics soon as i finish the project.
the guys on the forum complained on the thin wires and weak soldering, but i found them adequate for the purpose, especially if you fixate them in the place to prevent moving around.

Old 03-22-2008, 05:41 PM

[/align]

Kinda like my undertail. I am unaware of the manufacturer since i bought it used off of ebay and the tail lights didn't work so i put in some generic 2in round LED trailer lights and they are super bright. I made them integrated and they work realy well. These pics don't show it but i also have LED pegs taht I made a couple years back. The way I made mine integrated was use a series of diodes on each line so no reverse current can flow through it. The only thing that overrides it all is the brake light. If the brake lamp is on then you wouldn't see the other lamp flash.

Old 03-22-2008, 06:07 PM

The first undertail is more what im looking for. I just dont want myplate to be on the back. I wish I remembered who made the one I saw. Hound has more of what im goin for. What did you do for the plate mount? Did you just fabricate one? Is it lit? I would like to go with a high mount also and put the plate on the other side under the pipe.

Edit: I forgot to ask. What years of undertails will fit on my 01? I know 01-03 all have the dual seat and 04-06? all have the bananna seat. I know everything fits with enough massaging, but will a new style tail fit on an old style bike?

Old 03-22-2008, 08:39 PM

ORIGINAL: MC_spirited

The first undertail is more what im looking for. I just dont want myplate to be on the back. I wish I remembered who made the one I saw. Hound has more of what im goin for. What did you do for the plate mount? Did you just fabricate one? Is it lit? I would like to go with a high mount also and put the plate on the other side under the pipe.

Edit: I forgot to ask. What years of undertails will fit on my 01? I know 01-03 all have the dual seat and 04-06? all have the bananna seat. I know everything fits with enough massaging, but will a new style tail fit on an old style bike?
If you look at the bottom left i have the plate mounted there. It is not lit and i haven't gotten pulled over for that yet (knock on wood)

the undertail is specific for either the split seat or the banana seat. they are completly different

Old 03-22-2008, 10:52 PM

Here is a pic of my Rumble SS undertail.
You don't have to install the plate bracket.

Old 03-23-2008, 08:07 AM

Nice. What model undertail is that? Is it a 01-03 or 04-06 f4i?

Old 03-23-2008, 08:08 AM

ORIGINAL: MC_spirited

Nice. What model undertail is that? Is it a 01-03 or 04-06 f4i?
severetitan's is an 04-06 bike

Old 03-23-2008, 08:22 AM

Thanks for answering my question about the years. I didd'nt see it until just now. Undertails are not cheap. You have to make the choice between price and finish. I think most are un-painted from the ones that I like. I think I will go with the Rumble Concepts Ghost. I just need to wait until it gets warmer soI will be able to paint it. Do these undertails require a primer coat? Is it sufficent to make sure the surface is clean of all grease, oil ect?

Old 03-23-2008, 08:33 AM

they are primered, but still if you want to paint professionally, you'd probably reprimer and sand it, but for the paint can it would be more than enough, it would be just sufficient.

Quick Reply: Another Undertail query.